Karen M. Kozlowski
Karen is a partner in the Real Estate practice group. She focuses her practice in the areas of financing, leasing, loan restructurings and workouts, acquisitions and sales, loan portfolio sales and purchases and distressed debt transactions.
Karen represents lenders and debtors in connection with commercial and mezzanine loans secured by real property and other assets, commercial construction financing, and workouts and foreclosures. She also advises lenders and debtors on restructuring defaulted loans and refinancings and negotiating forbearance agreements, waivers and amendments to loan documentation. In addition, Karen prepares and negotiates leases on behalf of landlords and tenants of commercial, industrial and office properties and negotiates and closes sales contracts for sellers and purchasers of real property. She also advises clients on the sale and purchase of distressed assets and lenders in connection with the financing of such transactions.
An active member of the firm's women's initiative, Spotlight on Women, Karen helps develop, implement and promote programs designed to help women achieve their personal and professional goals.
Prior to entering private practice, Karen served as an assistant prosecutor in the Morris County, New Jersey Prosecutor's Office.
A representative sampling of Karen's experience includes:
- Representing the lead lender and agent in connection with a $58 million construction loan for a ground-up multi-family project in New Jersey.
- Representing the lender in the $20 million acquisition financing of a defaulted loan secured by a distressed multifamily project in Virginia.
- Representing the developer in connection with a $35 million construction loan and $6 million mezzanine financing in connection with a ground-up construction of multi-family project in New York, New York.
- Representing the lender in connection with a $48 million acquisition loan secured by several multi-family buildings in Alabama.
- Representing the lead lender in the $420 million acquisition financing of nine shopping centers located in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
- Representing an investor in connection with a joint venture agreement with respect to a student housing project in North Carolina.
- Representing the lender in connection with a $20 revolving line of credit secured by real property located in Massachusetts and a pledge of stock.
- Representing the buyer of a distressed office and retail mixed use building in New York, New York.
- Representing the lender in connection with a $28 million refinance of a mortgage loan on property located in Massachusetts.
- Representing the lender in closing a $100 million permanent mortgage loan on a $10 million equity bridge loan and a $15 million mezzanine loan for a mixed use property in New York.
- Representing the purchaser in connection with the due diligence review of a $1.4 billion loan portfolio purchase.
- Representing the lender in the financing of a $50 million mortgage and construction loan note purchase secured by property in New York.
- Representing the lender in a $35 million hotel acquisition financing on a ground lease property.
- Representing lenders in a number of acquisition, construction, mezzanine and project loans ranging in size from $3 million to $50 million.
- “New Federal Anti-Money Laundering Regulations for High-End Residential Real Estate Transactions,” Thompson Hine Real Estate & White Collar Crime Update, January 2016
- “New York To Implement Accelerated Adjudication Option,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, May 2014
- Quoted, "Building Collapse Report Raises Further Queries," GlobeSt.com, August 2008
- Speaker, SIOR 2015 Tri State Conference, March 2015, New York
- Speaker, SIOR 2014 Tri State Conference, March 2014, New York
- Client Advisory, "Is the Credit Crisis a Force Majeure Event?"
- Listed in Legal 500, 2019
- Selected to the New York Super Lawyers, 2018 and 2019
- Women in Real Estate Spotlight, New York Real Estate Journal, 2016
- 14 Top Women to Watch, Real Estate, 2014
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- NYCREW (New York Chapter Commercial Real Estate Women)
- Friendship Ambassadors Foundation, board member