Jim is a partner in Thompson Hine's Business Restructuring, Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy practice group in Cleveland. He focuses his practice on bankruptcy (primarily chapter 11 reorganizations), Uniform Commercial Code issues, workouts, and other commercial law and finance matters.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Jim served as a law clerk to the Honorable Arthur I. Harris of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio.
- Representing major creditor in Eastman Kodak Company (Bankr. S.D.N.Y).
- Representing a Chapter 7 Trustee in the liquidation and sale of corporate assets that belonged to the owners of several insolvent real estate and construction companies (Bankr. N.D. Ohio).
- Representation of borrowers and lenders in various workouts, including negotiation and documentation of refinancing and intercreditor agreements, forbearance agreements, lien perfection and priority issues, and liquidation and sale of collateral.
- “Bankruptcy Court Upholds Secured Creditor’s Right to Credit Bid, Rejects “Chilling” Argument,” Thompson Hine Business Restructuring, Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy Update, August 2014
- “Supreme Court Rules on Bankruptcy Courts’ Constitutional Authority, Leaves Key Question Unanswered,” Thompson Hine Business Restructuring, Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy Update, June 11, 2014
- “Can We Agree to That?” · Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, September 2013 (Co-author)
- “Recent Changes to Article 9” · Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2013 (Co-author)
- “Sixth and Ninth Circuits Split on Constitutional Conundrum Involving Authority of Bankruptcy Courts” · Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, May 2013 (Co-author)
- “Bankruptcy Court Upholds Plan Provision Allowing Payment of Fees to Members of Creditors’ Committee” · Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, April/May 2013 (Co-author)
- “Post-Stern Split Emerges over Consent to Bankruptcy Court Authority” · Bankruptcy Law Review, April 2013 (Co-author)
- “Post-Stern Split Emerges over Consent to Bankruptcy Court Authority” · Westlaw Journal Bankruptcy, March 2013 (Co-author)
- “Secured Creditors Secure Win: Supreme Court Upholds Credit Bidding Rights” · The Bankruptcy Strategist, July 2012 (Co-author)
- “Growing Trend? Recent Cases Say That Electricity is a Good” · American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, July 2012 (Co-author
- “Secured Creditors Win Right to Credit Bid” · LJN’s Equipment Leasing Newsletter, July 2012 (Co-author)
- A First-Anniversary Look at the Impact of 'Stern v. Marshall” · The New York Law Journal, June 25, 2012 (Co-author)
- The Impact of Stern v. Marshall
- July 2013 Amendments To Article 9 Of The Uniform Commercial Code, What’s the Impact?
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Bankruptcy Committee
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's 3Rs program
Thompson Hine Elects New PartnersThompson Hine LLP
January 23, 2020