Richard E. Helm
Richard is a partner in the firm's Commercial & Public Finance practice group. He has experience with advising both banks and corporate borrowers on secured and unsecured commercial loan transactions, including the negotiation and drafting of loan agreements and related security documents, as well as the authorizing corporate documentation of the borrower. Such matters have included financing arrangements for term and revolving lending. Richard also has experience in the area of public finance, representing issuers, borrowers and credit enhancers in connection with the issuance of tax-exempt bonds and taxable obligations.
Richard is also member of the firm's Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group. He focuses his practice on commercial contracts and transactions, mergers and acquisitions, internal corporate restructurings, and governance of nonprofit and for-profit entities.
Commercial & Public Finance
- Represent state townships and municipalities in bond and note issuances, including the drafting of related financing agreements.
- Represent bank and corporate borrower clients in financing arrangements ranging from the hundreds of thousands of dollars to $60 million.
- Represent state townships and municipalities with bond and note issuances, as well as tax increment financing arrangements.
- Advise and represent banks with bank-qualified bond purchases and letter of credit support, including the drafting of bond purchase agreements, reimbursement agreements and disclosure documents.
- Represent banks as placement agents for foreign lending backed by the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
- Counsel to the bank in its direct purchase of over $30 million of tax exempt economic development revenue bonds for the improvement of senior living facilities.
- Represented the placement agent in connection with $5 million of industrial building revenue bonds for the expansion of manufacturing facilities.
- Represented the placement agent in connection with $10 million of industrial revenue bonds for the acquisition, construction and equipping of an automotive exhaust system manufacturing facility.
- Counsel to the bank in its direct purchase of $15 million in economic development refunding revenue bonds to provide proceeds to reimburse bonds that were originally issued to refinance the acquisition, construction and equipping of a new auditorium and athletic field house.
Corporate Transactions & Securities
- Conduct an on-going review of various contracts for publicly held and privately held companies and nonprofits, including international organizations.
- Represent both privately held and publicly held clients with merger and acquisition transactions with purchase prices up to $2.5 billion.
- Advise board of directors and special committees of privately held companies on various corporate governance issues.
- Assisted a large privately held company in bankruptcy restructuring, a subsequent tax restructuring, a sale of certain assets of its subsidiaries and various credit refinancing efforts.
- "Reality Bites 2.0: A Rose By Any Other Name is Not a Rose: Legal and Tax Issues Affecting Business Entity Selection," hosted by Generation Dayton and presented with Battelle & Battelle LLP, September 2011
- Selected as a Dayton Business Journal Forty Under 40 honoree, 2018
- Dayton Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Madison County Bar Association
- Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce, Ambassador's Club, member
- Generation Dayton, member