Cathryn E. Greenwald
Cathryn is a partner in the Real Estate practice group. She focuses her practice on all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including construction and permanent financing, development, public-private partnerships, acquisition and sale of real estate, ground, retail, industrial and office leasing, and other general real estate matters.
Cathryn is admitted to practice in the state of Ohio and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Real Estate and Commercial Financing
- Represent lenders in construction and term mortgage loans for multi-family, retail and other commercial projects.
- Represent lenders in historic, low-income and new markets tax credit transactions.
- Represent lenders in construction and term mortgage loans for assisted living, Alzheimer's and similar health care facilities.
- Represent automobile manufacturer's financial services division as lender in construction and mortgage loans to dealers and franchisees.
- Represent borrower in $75 million financing of redevelopment of a regional shopping center, including multiple lending sources.
- Such representation includes: drafting and negotiation of loan documents; title and survey analysis; entity due diligence; and review and negotiation of opinion letters.
- Serve as local counsel to borrowers and lenders in Ohio mortgage loan transactions, including review of mortgage documents for enforceability and preparation of opinion letters regarding due authorization and enforceability.
Acquisitions & Dispositions
- Represent corporations in dispositions and acquisitions of commercial, industrial, retail and multi-tenant residential properties.
- Represent NYSE-listed REIT in retail acquisitions and dispositions, including a $125 million acquisition of a shopping center in Arizona.
- Represent national asset management firm in commercial, industrial, retail and multi-tenant residential acquisitions and dispositions, including a $765 million multi-state acquisition.
- Represent manufacturer in $20 million disposition of excess real estate assets and personal property in Mexico and the United States.
- Such representation includes: drafting and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements; title and survey analysis; zoning report analysis; lease review and analysis; analysis of redevelopment opportunities; and proration and settlement statement preparation.
- Represent landlords and tenants in industrial, warehouse and office leasing.
- Represent of landlords in retail leasing transactions with national, regional and local tenants ranging from anchor tenants to restaurants and small shop retailers.
- Represent tenants in resolution of lease disputes.
- Such representation includes: drafting and negotiation of leases and guaranties; analysis of exclusive and prohibited uses and title and survey analysis.
- Represent NYSE-listed REIT in redevelopment of existing retail shopping complexes, including analysis of prohibitions and restrictions in leases, property documents and loan documents.
- Represent municipality in multiple parcel redevelopment project, including preparation and negotiation of development and use agreements.
- Represent county in the expansion of its existing conference center, including the construction of a privately-owned conference hotel
- Provide real estate support on merger and acquisition transactions, including drafting of real estate sections of merger and purchase agreements, review and analysis of real estate due diligence materials, preparation of corrective documents (such as lease amendments and landlord consents) and preparation of closing documents (such as deeds and lease assignments).
Easements & Other Third Party Rights
- Represent property owners in easement negotiations with public and private entities.
- Represent property owners in license negotiations.
Real Property Taxes
- Represent corporations and individuals in complaints against the value of real property before the Cuyahoga County, Portage County and Lorain County Boards of Revision.
- Panelist, “Writer’s Workshop 101: Getting Your Lease Abstract on the Client’s ‘Bestseller’s List’”, ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2017
- Round Table Presenter, “Can’t We All Just Get Along? Negotiating SNDAs from the Perspective of Tenant, Lender and Landlord”, ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan & Pennsylvania Retail Development & Law Symposium, March 2017
- Panelist, “Innovation in Real Estate Financing: Getting beyond the Conventional and using New Techniques to Finance Projects”, ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2015
- Round Table Presenter, “Crowdfunding as Real Estate Financing”, ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Rising Stars by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2019
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section
- Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers, member
- Urban Land Institute, co-chair of Cleveland Women's Leadership Institute
- Cleveland Housing Network, board member
Thompson Hine Elects New PartnersThompson Hine LLP
January 09, 2018