Michael Victor Coleman
Michael is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group with a focus on corporate and governmental matters. His diverse experience covers a wide variety of corporate issues, including mergers and acquisitions, asset transfers, corporate finance, securities, internal investigations, public/private transactions, counseling company directors and officers, and business litigation. He also has a broad range of governmental experience, including public/private partnerships and municipal finance transactions.
He has represented a wide range of business and governmental entities, including financial institutions, technology companies, intellectual property companies, manufacturing companies, service companies, nonprofit entities, municipalities, counties, community development organizations, and companies in the health care and entertainment sectors. Michael was the City Attorney for the city of Atlanta (1990-1994) under Mayor Maynard Jackson. He also represented the city in contract negotiations related to the 1996 Olympics.
Illustrative examples of Michael’s experience include:
- Representation of sellers in connection with the multi-million dollar sale of intellectual property licensing company.
- Representation of multi-jurisdictional recreation authority as co-disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of taxable revenue refunding and improvement bonds for a downtown sports arena.
- Representation of development authority as co-disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of bonds to provide assistance to the homeless.
- Representation of technology company as recipient of private equity investment in Series A preferred stock and warrants, and providing ongoing representation of operating company.
- Representation of major municipality as co-disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of tax allocation refunding bonds for downtown residential, retail and entertainment district.
- Representation of local municipality in connection with responding to SEC subpoena.
- Advising a technology company on a multi-million dollar investment by a $15 billion hedge fund and providing ongoing representation of the new operating company.
- Counseling a U.S. holding company in connection with a multi-million dollar investment in a Honduran manufacturing concern.
- Representation of federal agency in multi-million dollar settlement with directors of failed bank.
- Representing a financial services company, as well as its life insurance, broker-dealer and investment advisory subsidiaries, in corporate, regulatory and litigation matters.
- Representation of broker-dealer in connection with FINRA examination.
- Representing the Atlanta Botanical Garden in connection with litigation to stop the construction of a new parking deck.
- Counseling the city of Atlanta in connection with the development and financing of Atlantic Station.
- Representing Central Atlanta Progress in connection with the creation of the Atlanta Downtown Improvement District (Downtown Ambassador Force).
- Advising a pharmacy benefits management company in connection with third-party biller reimbursement issues.
- Representing Turner Broadcasting System and the Atlanta Hawks in connection with the development and financing of Phillips Arena.
- Litigation (including oral arguments) before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in the Georgia Supreme Court, and numerous courts across the country.
- “Directors: Do Your Homework, Even if You Get it Wrong,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2014
- “A Review of the Business Judgment Rule,” NBA Magazine, 1990
- “Regulatory Evolution of Limited Offerings in Georgia,” Georgia State Bar Journal, 1984
- Limited Liability Companies – Governance Issues and Recent Developments, National Bar Association Convention, 2012
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in the 2018 List of Georgia’s Most Influential Politically-Connected Attorneys by James Magazine, 2018
- Listed in Legal 500 in Merger and Acquisitions, 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Selected as one of Georgia’s most powerful and influential attorneys by Women Looking Ahead Magazine (2017)
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Gate City Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games, Inc., board of directors (1994-1999)
- Metropolitan YMCA, board member (1996-1998)
- Research Atlanta, board member (1997-2000)
- University of Georgia Foundation, trustee (1995-1998)
- Vanderbilt Law School Alumni Board (1993-1996)
Michael V. Coleman and Tara N. Evans Join Thompson Hine - Coleman is Third Lateral Partner Added to Atlanta Office in Recent Weeks
August 07, 2013