Kerem is an associate in the firm’s International Trade and Transportation practice groups. He focuses his practice on advising clients on a broad range of regulatory, commercial, and administrative and civil litigation issues involving automotive safety, carriage of goods by rail, motor, vessel and air carriers. Kerem is also involved in assisting clients with antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings.
Kerem’s transportation work includes advising vehicle manufacturers and technology companies on a variety of safety matters before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) involving compliance with industry and regulatory standards, defects investigations, recall campaigns and automated driving systems. Kerem regularly advises clients involved in logistics, service and transportation on a variety of matters, including regulatory compliance, transportation security, policy issues and contract drafting and negotiation. Kerem’s experience also includes representing clients before the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. International Trade Commission in trade remedy proceedings.
He is an active participant in the firm’s Pro-Bono and Diversity Committees and advises pro-bono clients on immigration issues.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, he worked as a legal extern for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and an Am Law Global 200 firm based in Washington, D.C.
Kerem is a native Turkish speaker and is proficient in German.
- Advised U.S. air carriers on issues pertaining to alliances with other carriers, such as codeshares and joint ventures, and in obtaining authorizations for such alliances from the Department of Transportation
- Advised air carriers on many regulatory aspects of air transport, especially the application of air transport treaties
- Counseled shippers on ocean transportation contracts, including service contracts for containerized shipments, NVOCC negotiated rate arrangements, NVOCC service arrangements
- Advised ocean transportation intermediaries on compliance with Federal Maritime Commission regulations
- Advised shipper clients on demurrage/detention charges assessed by ocean common carriers and ocean transportation intermediaries
- Counseled shipper clients on demurrage/storage charges assessed by rail carriers
- Advised shipper clients on hazardous materials regulations applicable to rail transportation
- Advising a client in obtaining authority to construct and operate a rail line
- Counseled clients in connection with Surface Transportation Board proposed rules related to class exemptions and rail rate review reforms
- Counseled shipper clients in negotiating truck transportation agreements with motor carriers and brokers
- Advised clients on compliance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration rules, including hours of service, driver licensing and recordkeeping requirements
- Drafted comments to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on driver hours of service rules
- Represents automobile original equipment manufacturers in connection with defects investigations and recall campaigns before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Counsels clients in their compliance with NHTSA regulations on a variety of matters, including U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, TREAD reporting requirements, electric vehicles and autonomous driving systems
- Developed safety compliance programs for several automobile original equipment manufacturers
Trade Remedy Litigation
- Represents U.S. producers of glycine in antidumping and countervailing duty cases
- Prepared evasion allegations against importers under the Enforce and Protect Act of 2015
- Handled sections 232 and 301 tariff exclusion requests
- “The STB Denies CN Voting Trust,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, September 2021
- “FMC To Audit Ocean Carrier Demurrage and Detention Practices,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, July 2021
- “Executive Order Targets Rail, Ocean and Air Transportation Competition and Unreasonable Practices,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, July 2021
- “CP and KCS Submit Merger Prefiling Notification and Proposed Procedural Schedule,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, March 2021
- “Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern to Merge,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, March 2021
- “FMC Proposes to Permit Service Contract Filings up to 30 Days After the Effective Date,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, January 2021
- "FAA Issues Final Rule on Remote Drone Identification, Thompson Hine Transportation Update, January 2021
- “Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021: Implications for Business,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, December 2020
- “FMC Expands Investigation of Ocean Carrier Alliance Practices in U.S. Ports,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, November 2020
- “FMC Extends Service Contract Exemption and Issues Ocean Carrier Billing Practice NOI,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, October 2020
- “FMCSA Proposes New Driver Hours of Service and Age Limit Pilot Programs,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, October 2020
- “FMCSA Amends Its Driver Hours of Service Rules,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, May 2020
- “FMC Issues Final Guidance on Unreasonable Demurrage and Detention Practices to Improve Ocean Freight Fluidity,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, April 2020
- “U.S. Government Agencies Stress the Importance of Corporate Compliance Programs Through the Issuance of Guidance Documents,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, July 2019
- “Opportunities For The Oil Industry In NAFTA Renegotiations,” Law360, January 2018
- Member, Transparency International