David E Benz
David is counsel in the firm's Transportation practice group. He focuses his practice on matters involving freight railroad regulation, contracting and strategy. In particular, he assists clients in understanding their rights under federal law, in reducing their rail transportation shipping costs, and in meeting regulatory requirements of the Surface Transportation Board and other federal agencies.
- Transportation contracts: draft, counsel and advise.
- Rail line acquisition, including relevant documents and regulatory requirements.
- Railroad rate reasonableness at the Surface Transportation Board.
- Rail line crossings, easements and other property issues.
- Railroads' duty to provide service under the common carrier obligation.
- Federal preemption issues related to rail transportation.
- Rail line abandonments, including relevant documents and regulatory requirements.
- Trackage rights agreements, rail line leases, and other agreements related to rail operations.
- "How Long is the Jurisdiction Arm of the STB?," The Association of Transportation Law Professionals, Transportation Forum XIII, Washington, DC, November 14, 2016
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Transportation, Nationwide, 2016 and 2017
- Listed in Legal 500, 2018
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals