Firmwide Vice Chair, LGBTQ Initiative, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Initiative
Anthony's legal practice is focused on commercial real estate including drafting leases for landlords and major tenants; facilitating commercial property dispositions and acquisitions, including those involving cellular communications towers; and assisting shopping center owners and developers with strategic planning of retail redevelopment projects, including expansions, reconfigurations and tenant relocations, including key roles in the firm’s representation of:
(1) A national real estate management and development company in its conversion to a REIT;
(2) A publicly traded REIT in its $1.93 billion joint venture acquisition of 71 shopping centers with one of the world’s leading investment firms;
(3) An automotive parts manufacturer in its $1.6 billion sale to a German-based auto parts maker; and
(4) A telecommunications company in its approximately $44 million portfolio acquisition of cellular communications towers across the United States.
With a passion for growing diversity within the legal field, Anthony is an active member of both the Thompson Hine Diversity Committee and LGBT Initiative. Anthony is also a founder and Co-Chair of the LGBT and Allies Committee of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, a committee which seeks to provide educational and networking opportunities for LGBT and ally attorneys and law students, and to develop an initiative to provide a network of experienced attorneys who can assist with the complex and unique legal issues faced by the Cleveland area's significant LGBT population.
In July of 2015, Anthony was selected by the National LGBT Bar Association as one of the Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40 – Class of 2015. The LGBT Bar established this award to recognize outstanding LGBT legal professionals under the age of 40 who have distinguished themselves in their field and demonstrated a profound commitment to LGBT equality.
- Landlords. Representation of landlords in retail leasing transactions with national, regional and local tenants and small shop retailers, including drafting leases, amendments and developing lease forms.
- Tenants. Representation of tenants in retail leasing transactions within shopping centers and office buildings, including the development of letters of intent and drafting of leases, amendments and lease forms.
- Retail Strategy. Representation of shopping centers in strategic planning of retail redevelopment projects, including shopping center expansions, reconfigurations and tenant relocations.
Sales and Acquisitions
- Cellular Communications Towers. Representation of purchasers and sellers of cell towers located across the United States.
Corporate Real Estate
- Due diligence analysis in connection with multimillion dollar property sales and acquisitions.
- Asset analysis and management of real estate due diligence in connection with the refinancing and the future sale of a significant portion of the assets of a multinational and multibillion dollar corporation.
- "IRS Grants Relief to Deadlines for "Like-Kind" Section 1031 Exchanges," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 1, 2020
- "Personality: The Lost Quality of Diversity," Vol. 7 No. 1, Bar Journal of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, July/August 2014
- "Creating Diversity Jurisdiction in Removal Actions Through the Improper Use of Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 21: Procedural Blackjack or Judicial Bust?", 60 Clev. St. L. Rev., May 2012
- Speaking Engagement: Being Out in the Professional World, Ohio University, April 24, 2014, Speaker
- Legal Overview of LGBT Rights in Ohio, Cleveland, OH, May 16, 2014, Organizer
- Know Your Rights Pro Bono Clinic, Cleveland, OH, May 17, 2014, Organizer
- The Intersection of Religious Liberty and LGBT, Cleveland, OH, June 26, 2014, Organizer
- Representing Transgender Clients in the Name-Change Process, Cleveland, OH, Feb. 13, 2015, Organizer
- Elder Law and Exploitation, Cleveland, OH, May 15, 2015, Organizer
- In 2016, Anthony received the Thompson Hine Diversity Champion Award, which is awarded annually to the person who best exemplifies Thompson Hine’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in his or her professional and personal life and who demonstrates exceptional commitment and efforts to promote inclusion both within the firm and in the community at large.
- Anthony was selected by the National LGBT Bar Association as one of the Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40 – Class of 2015. The LGBT Bar established this award to recognize outstanding LGBT legal professionals under the age of 40 who have distinguished themselves in their field and demonstrated a profound commitment to LGBT equality.
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Founder and Co-Chair of LGBT and Allies Committee
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law Dean's Diversity Council
- Human Rights Campaign Cleveland Gala 2013, Marketing Co-Chair
- College Now Greater Cleveland, Mentor, 2013 to present
- Law and Leadership Institute, Mentor, 2013