Steve is a partner in the firm's Intellectual Property practice group. He is a registered patent attorney and has experience in virtually all aspects of intellectual property law, including domestic and foreign patent and trademark prosecution; patent and trademark validity and right-to-use studies; copyright registration, licensing and litigation; patent and know-how licensing including joint venture and trade secret agreements; and domain name and cybersquatting issues.
Steve works with companies having large intellectual property portfolios to aid in developing, managing, enforcing and monetizing their portfolios. Steve also regularly counsels clients with growing portfolios to formulate and implement suitable intellectual property strategy. Steve has extensive experience in assessing infringement and pursuing infringers, and as well as defending against allegations of infringement. He also regularly drafts and negotiates licenses and agreements involving intellectual property, including deals and acquisitions, master services agreements, joint ventures, technology development agreements and material transfer agreements.
Prior to joining the firm, Steve was an associate with Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP in Cleveland, Ohio, and was previously a judicial extern to the Honorable Paul E. Pfeifer of the Ohio Supreme Court.
Heavy industry: pumping equipment, automotive parts and components, food processing equipment, materials processing, electric motor manufacturing, papermaking, aerospace technology, bearing housings, transportation technology, industrial systems, metal rolling and processing, fluid storage and dispensing equipment, workpiece positioning equipment, concrete reinforcement components, heat exchanger tools, graphite electrode manufacturing Light Manufacturing: medical devices, valves and fittings, golf and sporting equipment, packaging, bio-mechanical devices, printer technology, protective apparel, extrusion products, school and office products, consumer goods, food preparation and preservation, dispensing equipment, desiccants, firefighter training technology, optical devices and lenses, food dispensing equipment, floor marking tape, mechanical fasteners Sensors and Electronic Equipment: fluid sensors, RFID technology, micro-electromechanical systems, accelerometers, camera systems, training simulators Software and Computer Technology: mobile device and tablet app development software and system design, data analytics, e-readers, knowledge base management, data analysis, memory allocation algorithms, agent-based modeling, image capture and processing, communications systems, financial management Materials Science: alloys, food additives, aerospace composites, radome surfaces, desiccant and molecular sieve material, food packaging, protective coatings Business Methods: investment strategies, insurance strategies, logistics, e-commerce, advertising methods, rewards programs, personal lending programs, personality assessment tools.
Served as an expert witness, providing live testimony to the Court in Meeker R&D Inc. v. Evenflo Company, Inc., in the Portage County Court of Common Pleas, 2014
- Co-author, “Enhancing Enterprise Valve: Protecting Your Intellectual Property” Business Law Update, October 2016
- "Supreme Court Send Signal to 'Patent Trolls'," Technology First Dayton, Greater Dayton IT Alliance, September 2007
- Co-author, "Major Changes Possible For The Patent System," Technology First Dayton, Greater Dayton IT Alliance, March 2006
- "Problem in Patent Litigation: Mandatory Mediation May Provide Settlements and Solutions," Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, 1996
- Intellectual Property and Data Rights Under Government Contracts, on-site industry presentation, 2019
- Dayton Region Manufacturers’ Association Seminar: International Trade and Intellectual Property, 2018
- Financial Poise Webinar “IP 101: What Every Founder/Entrepreneur Must Know,” 2017
- “On-Sale Bar: Recent Developments,” on-site industry presentation, 2016
- "America Invents Act," Dayton Intellectual Property Law Association CLE accredited seminar, 2014
- "Preissuance Submissions," Strafford Publications CLE accredited webinar, 2013
- "First to File and Patent Basics," Dayton Development Coalition, 2013
- "America Invents Act," Dayton Chapter IEEE, 2013
- "'First to File' Under the America Invents Act," Edison Materials Technology Center, 2012
- "'Tangentialness' Under Festo: Cross Medical Products, Inc. v. Medtronic," on-site industry presentation, 2007
- "Basics of Intellectual Property," Dayton Entrepreneur Development Network, 2005
- "Infectious Estoppel - Glaxo Wellcome, Inc. v. Impax," Best Practices in Patent Prosecution for 2005 (CLE accredited seminar), 2004
- Expert panel of annual meeting for National Composite Center, 2008
- Member, Patent Law Committee, Intellectual Property Owner’s Association, 2016-present
- Member, Planning Committee, University of Dayton Computer and Cyberspace Law Seminar, 2006-present
- Selected for inclusion in Rising Stars by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 and 2007