IM Coffee Chat - Session Eleven - Converting a Mutual Fund to an ETF
Date: April 07, 2021
Time: 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. ET
Contact: Elise Hoffer, 513.352.6748 - Elise.Hoffer@ThompsonHine.com
A complimentary webinar presented by Thompson Hine LLP
Join us for a mid-morning break each Wednesday to chat about hot topics and trends relevant to your business. Our concise and practical discussions will focus on a variety of developments that impact financial service industries, and we’ll offer insights and considerations that will certainly be of interest to you.
Wednesday, April 7
10:30 – 11:00 a.m. ET
Session Eleven: Converting a Mutual Fund to an ETF: Transparent or Semi-Transparent Portfolio and Other Key Decisions
Now that the first couple of mutual fund to ETF conversions have occurred, advisors have the option of entering the ETF business with scale. We will walk advisors through the decision tree when deciding whether to convert, including the critical decision of whether to convert mutual funds into semi-transparent or fully transparent actively managed ETFs. Panelists will report firsthand on how some of the first semi-transparent ETFs have operated as well as key decisions an advisor will make when setting up a semi-transparent ETF and interfacing with existing and new service providers. Join us as we outline each ETF model and navigate through the pros and cons of the various options advisors have when entering this space.
We will discuss the following topics:
- Where the SEC stands on the different types of mutual fund to ETF conversions and permissible active semi-transparent ETFs.
- Why should an advisor consider an active semi-transparent ETF versus an active transparent ETF?
- Recent experience with some of the first active semi-transparent ETFs.
- Timing: How long does it take to convert to a mutual fund into an active semi-transparent ETF?
- Simon Goulet, Co-Founder, Blue Tractor Group
- Richard M. Keary, Principal & Founder, Global ETF Advisors
- Terry Norman, Founder, Blue Tractor Group
- Bibb Strench, Partner, Thompson Hine
Upcoming program in this series (you must register separately for each):
- April 14 – Cannabis and Division of Investment Management
- April 21 – Five-Part Investment Advice Test
Contact Elise Hoffer