We offer our associates mentoring and feedback. We also encourage participation in our Partnering Process.
Mentoring is also provided by the practice group leaders. Practice groups meet regularly for lunch to talk about current topics and particularly challenging client matters. Most of our practice groups also hold retreats each year to review developments in the law and to share new methods for serving our clients.
Evaluation and Feedback
There are few things as important to an associate’s development as feedback. Our system maximizes a lawyer’s opportunity to be evaluated on a meaningful basis. We conduct a formal evaluation annually that consists of written evaluations, oral evaluations and meetings between an associate and his or her advisor. Our partners and senior associates provide constructive reviews that recognize success and suggest areas for improvement. Customized individual development planning is created for each associate based on their evaluation feedback and their own goals and objectives, which are established annually.
Representatives of the firm also hold annual meetings with all associates to address policies or issues that may be of concern to associates. The firm created a unique new program in 2000 called the “Annual Associate Partnering Program.” This partnering process gives associates an opportunity to revel in what is going well in the firm, as well as provide feedback and suggestions to the partnership on how the firm could better advance its major goals of providing excellent service to clients, attracting and retaining the best people, unifying the firm, and improving profitability.
We believe this continuous improvement process demonstrates the depth of the firm’s commitment to our associates, which in turn allows the firm to retain the best people.
We offer lateral hires the following benefits:
- Three weeks vacation during first year, four weeks per year thereafter
- Reimbursement of local and state bar association dues through the fifth year of practice
- Interest-free financing for purchases of job-related technology for use outside the office
- Time off with pay for disability and maternity leave with an additional six weeks of paid parental leave provided to any associate who is the primary care-giver of a new child
- Approximately eighty percent of premium for individual medical coverage or approximately seventy percent of premium for family medical coverage (including eligible domestic partners)
- Short- and long-term disability protection
- Life insurance equal to 1.5 times salary with a minimum of $200,000 and a maximum of $400,000
- 401(k) plan
- Professional liability insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- Long-term care insurance
- Dependent care, transportation and health care flexible spending accounts
- Employee assistance program
- Travel and accident insurance
Interested in cost of living comparisons by city? Visit the City Data site.
To apply for an open position, please click here.
If none of our current openings matches your experience and qualifications, you may complete the application labeled “General Submission”. Your cover letter should clearly state the position you seek and your preferred office location.
Search Firm Guidelines
We do not accept unsolicited resumes. We consider any resume (a) received without prior approval from a Legal Talent Manager or b) sent to anyone at the firm outside the Talent Management department, to be unsolicited, and we will not pay a fee to the agency for that submission. If you know a candidate who might be a good fit for our firm, please send an e-mail to the office e-mail address listed on the “Contacts” page, or contact the Legal Talent Manager or directly, and describe the candidate without revealing his or her name, after which the member of the Talent Management department who manages the recruiting activities for that office will be in touch with you. In addition, please do not call or e-mail any attorney at Thompson Hine without prior approval from a Legal Talent Manager. Thank you in advance for respecting our process.