Frank D. Chaiken
Practice Group Leader, Corporate Transactions & Securities
Frank is a partner in the firm and chair of its Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group. In addition, he serves on the International Practice Committee. Frank focuses his practice on corporate transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, start-ups, joint ventures and commercial agreements and has extensive experience with international transactions. He also serves as general outside legal counsel to a wide range of business clients.
Frank's experience prior to joining the firm in 1993 includes four years as in-house corporate counsel to Sandoz Agro Ltd. based in Basel, Switzerland.
Representation of private and publicly held clients in numerous business acquisitions, divestiture transactions, and other matters, include:
- Multiple add-on acquisitions for investment platform of major New York private equity fund, in transactions ranging from $5 million to $25 million.
- Manufacturing joint ventures throughout the United States for major Swiss public company.
- Represent 50 percent shareholder and controlling creditor in buy-out of interest in a privately held consumer packaging company.
- Divestitures of U.S. chemical manufacturing interests of a German public company.
- Purchase of a petrochemical manufacturing division by a German public company.
- Organization of U.S. sales and marketing operations of numerous European manufacturing businesses.
- Organization of Chinese manufacturing and distribution subsidiaries for US companies.
- Strategic alliance for electronic news and information distribution.
- Multi-year raw material supply contracts for NYSE/Fortune 500 manufacturing company.
- Buy-out of interest in a family-owned manufacturing business.
- Negotiation of multi-site software license, development, maintenance agreements for privately held process automation business.
- Divestiture of numerous manufacturing divisions of NYSE manufacturing company.
- Negotiation of complex marketing and distribution agreement for industrial machinery in connection with corporate restructuring.
- Structuring and negotiation of commercial agreements for technology start-up division of multi-national company.
- Handling of general contract and business law questions for NYSE/S&P 500 health care services company.
- Corporate law advice in connection with 50-state tax restructuring.
- Purchase of an automotive components manufacturer in Italy.
- Purchase of a major manufacturer of consumer packaging machinery.
- Purchase of a commercial rolling door and gate manufacturer.
- Purchase of a building products installation business.
- Purchase of a textile and plastics manufacturer in Germany.
- Numerous add-on acquisitions for platform business of major private equity firm in the machine manufacturing sector.
- Numerous acquisitions of institutional pharmacy services businesses for S&P 500 health care company.
- Multinational purchase of electronic materials manufacturing business in the United States and Asia
- Sale of precision metal casting and valve manufacturing division of NYSE company.
- Manufacturing joint ventures in Asia and Europe.
- Product and technology licensing agreements.
- Product distribution and sales representation agreements.
- Employment agreements.
- Business organizations and start-ups.
- Buy-out of minority interest in a U.S. subsidiary by majority shareholder in Germany.
- Acquisition of machining assets and facility by an industrial manufacturing company.
- Purchase of sharer of manufacturer of industrial tools.
- “Thoughts on Negotiations,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2018
- “Applicable Companies Must Respond to U.S. Benchmark Survey of Foreign Direct Investment by May 31,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2018
- “The More Things Change … ” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2018
- “International Corporate Practice – It’s Business as Usual,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2018
- “Rebound: M&A After the Fall,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2017
- "New Ohio Corporation Law Provisions Define Officers’ Fiduciary Duty, Limit Liability,” Thompson Hine Corporate Law Update, July 2016
- “Survey of U.S. Financial Services Providers’ Transactions with Foreign Persons Due November 1, 2015,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, October 2015
- “M&A Transactions a Natural Fit for Legal Project Management,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2015
- “Ohio Business Transfers May Result in Higher Workers’ Compensation Premiums,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2015
- “Federal Funding for Clean Energy Projects,” CLEANTECH iDEAS, January 2015
- "Corporate Merger Results in Termination of Employee Noncompetition Covenants," Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2012
- "China's New Company Law," CBA Report, June 2006
- "Mergers & Acquisitions," Doing Business in and with the United States, Thompson Hine LLP, 1999
- "Going Global," Article Series, Cincinnati Business Courier, 1995 to 1998
- "Terms of Trade" Newsletter, Huntington Bank, 1998
- "Contract Drafting and Forms," Counsel's Ohio Form Book, 1997
- "So You Want to Buy (Sell) a Company?" Harvard Club of Cincinnati, July 2013
- "Legal Aspects of Doing Business in the United States," presentation to University of Cincinnati Institute for the Global Practice of Law, October 2013
- "Buying or Selling a Company," speaker on Legal Beat segment of Business Beat television program on CET, January 25, 2008
- Roundtable participant, "Private Company and Nonprofit Governance," November 2006
- Moderator, "Issues in Private Company Governance," Thompson Hine Client Briefing, October 2006
- "China Company Law Revisions," Thompson Hine Women Going Global Series, Spring 2006
- "Doing Business in and with the United States," presentations to correspondent law firms in Beijing and Shanghai, China, Fall 2005
- "Legal Issues in Doing Business in China," presentation to Greater Cincinnati Regional Chamber Delegation in Beijing, China, Fall 2005
- "Rechtsfragen zum Vertrieb und Niederlassungsaufbau in den USA" (Legal Issues in Product Distribution and Subsidiary Operations in the USA), joint presentation of the Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Stuttgart, Germany, November 2003
- "Business Entity Selection," Lorman Education Services, September/November 2003
- "Corporate Growth Strategies," Thompson Hine LLP Client Briefing, Spring 2003
- "Update on Doing Business in China," joint program of Thompson Hine LLP and Deloitte & Touche, February 2003
- "International Business Transactions," Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, January 2003
- "New Developments in Corporate Responsibility," Cincinnati Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, November 2002
- "Corporate Growth Strategies," Thompson Hine LLP Client Briefing, Fall 2002
- Chair, Midwest International Law Conference, Cincinnati Bar Association, March 2002
- "Buying and Selling a Business in Ohio," Lorman Education Services, July 2000
- "Enforcement of Judgments Across Borders," Cincinnati Bar Association, International Law Committee, April 2000
- "Mergers and Acquisitions," Cincinnati Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Committee, 1998
- "Client Briefing on Foreign Corrupt Practices," Thompson Hine LLP, 1997
- Named a National Law Journal Mergers & Acquisitions and Antitrust Trailblazers, 2017
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyer magazine
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, Ohio
- Named a Cincy Leading Lawyer by Cincy Magazine
- Listed in Legal 500 in Merger and Acquisition, 2014 to 2017
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service MVP, 2011
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star, 2010
- American Bar Association, Sections of Business and International Law
- Cincinnati Bar Association, former chair of the International Law Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Talbert House, Board of Trustees
- Plum Street Temple Historic Preservation Fund, Board of Trustees
Thompson Hine Advises Pro Mach, Inc. on Major Cross-Border Acquisition - P.E. Labellers Acquisition Closed May 17
May 19, 2017
The Legal 500 U.S. Recognizes Several Thompson Hine Practices, Lawyers - Firm's Construction, Corporate, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Real Estate and Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Practices Receive National Acclaim
July 06, 2015
December 29, 2014
September 23, 2013
Thompson Hine First in Mutual Fund Representation - Survey Ranks Firm First in Number of Mutual Fund Clients Served
May 11, 2011
March 01, 2011