White collar crime encompasses many areas of non-violent criminal offenses, often committed using sophisticated and complicated means in the corporate setting.
Thompson Hine’s experienced white collar group routinely counsels and defends clients on issues involving:
- Antitrust, FCPA & RICO violations
- Financial & securities fraud
- Health care & pharmaceutical fraud
- Internal investigations & compliance issues
- Money laundering
- Public corruption & bribery
- SEC enforcement
- Tax evasion
Our white collar litigators regularly appear in, and are well known throughout, state and federal courts across the United States. With an established track record of creating and implementing courtroom strategies, they help protect clients from risk, contributing to successful outcomes.
Our litigators include former federal and state prosecutors with extensive trial experience, some of whom served in government with distinction before joining private practice. Many are also regularly selected for inclusion in acclaimed directories and publications including Super Lawyers®, Benchmark Litigation and The Best Lawyers in America®, distinguishing them in the marketplace with a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
White Collar Litigators:
Our experience includes numerous trial, plea and sentencing matters, including:
- Winning acquittal in federal court of a general manager of an international construction company charged with conspiracy and Hobbs Act violations arising from efforts to obtain a $26 million energy performance contract. Our client was the only person acquitted of all charges arising from a high-profile public corruption scandal.
- Securing the mid-trial dismissal of all charges against a retired FBI supervisor charged with four counts of murder while he was an FBI agent.
- Winning the acquittal of the owner of tugboats and barges in a federal criminal prosecution alleging illegal discharges of municipal waste into a public waterway.
- Winning the acquittal of the owner of an onshore oil tank facility in a federal criminal prosecution alleging illegal storage of PCB-contaminated oil.
- Winning the acquittal of an insurance executive after an 11-month trial on criminal antitrust charges
- Securing dismissal of securities fraud claims alleging failure to disclose a scheme to avoid import duties and faulty internal controls against the CFO of a publicly traded company.
- Winning acquittal on all charges for the defendant in a New Jersey fuel sales tax case following a seven-month trial.
- Securing dismissal of a federal criminal indictment and resolution of a proceeding filed against the CEO of a publicly traded company after prevailing on motions to suppress seized evidence in a precedent-setting decision.
- Securing pretrial dismissal of the federal wire fraud indictment of a nationally known hedge fund analyst charged with multimillion-dollar theft and embezzlement.
- Winning a jury verdict acquitting a construction executive of all charges in a federal corruption and fraud prosecution (only defendant to win acquittal of 60+ charged).
- Winning reversal of convictions in the “Amish Beard Cutting” cases, the first cases brought in the United States under the Hate Crimes Prevention Act for religiously motivated violence.
- Leading a team conducting FCPA and anticorruption due diligence in connection with the acquisition of a multinational telecommunications company with operations in 70 countries, including Africa, Asia, Russia and South America.