Our lawyers have significant experience in all aspects of private equity fund and investment matters, including fund formations, investment and portfolio company acquisitions, exit transactions, and day-to-day fund and portfolio company operational matters. In addressing the wide array of legal and regulatory issues affecting our clients, we draw upon the experience of lawyers in many of Thompson Hine’s practice areas who concentrate on issues involving corporate transactions and securities regulation, tax, investment adviser and investment company regulation, ERISA and real estate.
We have comprehensive experience advising fund managers, investors and operating companies on all business, legal, regulatory and tax matters, including:
- Representing fund sponsors and principals in the formation and structuring of a wide variety of investment funds including buy-out, venture capital, fund-of-funds, distressed, real estate, asset-backed securities, late stage, offshore and secondary funds.
- Representing fund sponsors and principals in offering fund interests to prospective investors, including advising on private placement memoranda and compliance with private placement legal requirements under U.S. and state securities laws.
- Representing general partners in all aspects of the formation, structuring and daily operations of fund management entities, including advising on all matters related to management, control, compensation and vesting arrangements.
- Representing institutional investors in connection with investments in private equity funds, including advising on business, ERISA, state pension plan, foreign investor, bank holding company and tax issues.
- Advising general and limited partners on legal and regulatory requirements and exemptions under the Securities Act of 1933, Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Representing funds in connection with portfolio investments, including operating companies, venture capital companies, distressed assets and real estate-related assets.
- Advising funds on exit strategies and transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, initial public offerings, recapitalizations and secondary transactions.
- Advising private equity funds, management entities and operating companies on reorganizations, restructurings and workouts.