Thompson Hine provides regulatory, transactional, government relations and litigation services to insurance industry clients. On the regulatory front, our lawyers advise clients regarding the operation, formation and licensing of insurance companies, insurance agents and insurance agencies, and responding to state insurance department financial and market conduct examination issues. Our experience in this area includes providing guidance on the formation of a captive private mortgage reinsurance company and on the formation of a mutual insurance holding company. Our transactional representation has included merger, acquisition and reinsurance transactions. The group also represents clients in state and federal government relations matters, including insurance industry-sponsored legislative initiatives.
Our clients include all types of insurance companies, including:
- Property and casualty insurers
- Life insurance companies
- Health insuring corporations
- Health maintenance organizations
- Excess and surplus lines insurers
- Captives, risk retention groups
- Advise clients regarding operation, formation, redomestication, demutualization and licensing of insurance companies, insurance agents and insurance agencies.
- Represent clients in administrative matters, including hearings before state departments of insurance.
- Advise insurance companies with legal or financial issues before state departments of insurance, including financial reporting and financial solvency matters.
- Provide counsel on merger, acquisition and reinsurance transactions.
- Represent insurance companies in insurance coverage disputes and in defending insureds in litigation.
- Represent clients in all aspects of insurance-related litigation, ranging from first-party and third-party disputes in state and federal courts to reinsurance arbitrations and disputes with court-appointed receivers in insurance rehabilitation and/or liquidation proceedings.
- Represent clients in governmental relations and lobbying.
- Serve as counsel for insurance trade associations.
Illustrative examples of our experience include:
- Counseling a mutual insurance company domiciled in Ohio on the sale of one of its subsidiaries, both from the corporate M&A side and the insurance regulatory side.
- Advising a health insurance company that writes business in most parts of the country in its purchase of an Ohio-based health plan. We served primarily as regulatory counsel, but also assisted with corporate M&A work.
- Advising a publicly held Medicaid managed care company in its purchase of an Ohio managed care plan located in northwestern Ohio. We assisted with both the insurance regulatory and corporate M&A work.
- Representing the buyer of an Ohio-based monoline title insurance company, handling both regulatory and corporate M&A matters.