Thompson Hine is a leading adviser on all aspects of alternative investments to financial services firms, asset managers and investment funds. We represent clients ranging from small startup and boutique operations to some of the largest financial institutions in the world.
Our hedge fund lawyers bring more than eight decades of experience to bear on the challenges and opportunities our clients face, and our commitment to the hedge fund community runs deep. Our team includes former SEC staff members and chief compliance officers of Fortune 10 financial services firms, and our lawyers actively participate in leading industry associations such as the Hedge Fund Association (Richard Heller is an HFA Director) and the Managed Funds Association. Thompson Hine also hosts a annual seminar for hedge fund managers and professionals regarding regulatory and marketplace developments.
At Thompson Hine, we offer our clients a unique understanding of the hedge fund market, and apply our experience to help them every step of the way in structuring, forming and operating successful funds in a highly competitive marketplace.
We offer comprehensive services and advice on structuring, forming and operating successful funds; this is not an all-inclusive list. If you have questions, please contact Richard Heller (212.908.3907, James Jalil (212.908.3976) or Cassandra W. Borchers (513.352.6632).
- Representing hedge fund sponsors in forming and structuring funds that pursue a variety of proprietary investment strategies, including funds of funds.
- Advising clients in connection with the formation and structure of hedge fund general partner entities.
- Negotiating seed investment deals.
- Drafting fund limited partnership and limited liability company agreements.
- Negotiating and evaluating investments in financial instruments, such as pooled investment funds, futures agreements, repurchase agreements, swaps and other derivatives.
- Organizing and registering investment advisers with the SEC and state regulators.
- Advising clients in connection with Dodd-Frank and the JOBS Act.
- Counseling clients with respect to SEC, CFTC, FINRA and NFA compliance.
- Preparing compliance programs and conducting compliance reviews of registered investment advisers who manage hedge funds.
- Advising clients in light of the relaxation of the prohibition on general solicitations under the JOBS Act.
- Counseling clients in connection with the marketing of hedge funds, including the presentation of performance information.
- Reviewing advertising and marketing material.
- Defending clients in SEC enforcement matters.
- Providing advice on SEC proceedings.
- Defending registered broker-dealers and representatives before the FINRA.
- Advising fund managers in daily operations of fund-management entities.
- Advising clients seeking to enter new markets, such as the EU.
- Advising activist fund managers on proxy solicitations.
- Negotiating investment side-letters with large institutional investors.
- Preparing hedge fund offering documents and exhibits and related federal and state securities filings.
- Assisting fund managers and investors with the preparation and completion of due diligence matters, including questionnaires submitted to prime brokers.
- Preparing private placement memoranda.
- Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA)
- American Bar Association Securities Litigation Section
- American Securities Association
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- Financial Advisor
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- FINRA Firm Gateway/Web CRD Site
- FINRA Web CRD Registered Representative Site
- Financial Services Institute Inc.
- Hedge Fund Association (HFA)
- Hedge Fund Group (HFG)
- Hedge Fund Journal
- International Securities Association for Institutional Trade Communication (ISITC)
- Institutional Investor
- Managed Funds Association (MFA)
- National Investment Banking Association (NIBA)
- National Society of Compliance Professionals
- North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA)
- Practising Law Institute (PLI)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Securities Industry/Regulatory Council on Continuing Education
- Women in the Boardroom