Governmental Incentives and Historic Preservation
We have handled matters that help protect and conserve homes, buildings and land with historic value. We represent park authorities, land trusts, conservation agencies, developers and real estate investment funds. Members of our team have previously served on historic conservation boards and easement committees and one has held a strategic position alongside the mayor to revitalize a historic district into a residential neighborhood.
Our lawyers have:
- Managed $60 million in civic real estate investment funds affiliated with Cleveland Tomorrow that invested in a broad range of projects, a significant number of which incorporated historic tax credits as part of their capital structure.
- Developed a finance plan for the next phase in residential development in Detroit that includes extensive reliance on tax credit equity as a potential funding gap source as well as recommendations that would provide more capacity from the State Historic Tax Credit program.
- Served as developer’s counsel in connection with the issuance of over $50 million of tax increment revenue bonds for the public infrastructure improvements necessary for the renovation of the historic Mercantile Tower in Dallas.
- Represented a developer in connection with construction and permanent financing documentation and design and construction agreements relating to a $10 million historic office building renovation project.
- Represented a client in a matter involving a historic farm property in Virginia including negotiation of easements related to a Civil War battle ground and a residence including a working horse-breeding operation.