Oil and Gas Boom Impacts Real Estate
Date: March 29, 2012
Oil and gas exploration in the Marcellus and Utica shale formations in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia has piqued the interest of many property owners, investors and lenders. Horizontal drilling and other new technologies are making Marcellus and Utica exploration economically viable for the first time, economic terms and provisions of oil and gas leases are substantially different today, and grassroots opposition to hydraulic fracturing is gaining critical mass.
These sweeping changes are unfolding rapidly and call for caution and good counsel. At Thompson Hine, we stand prepared to advise you concerning all aspects of this Ohio oil and gas boom, drawing on our experience from prior cycles of leasing and our understanding of current conditions. Many individuals and organizations are turning to us for efficient legal services, including:
- Joint ventures involving exploration and production
- Lender concerns about collateral
- Negotiation of oil and gas leases, whether drilling or nondrilling
- Planning, development and construction of interstate natural gas pipelines
- Regulatory compliance issues
- Information on the exploration and production business, drawn from in-house experience with a drilling company
As the picture continues to develop, we are here to assist.