Renee represents businesses and fiduciaries in high-stakes commercial disputes, with a focus on securities and shareholder litigation. Renee’s experience includes representing companies and their directors and officers in defending against shareholder derivative suits and securities class actions. She also assists corporations and their boards in managing litigation risk and advises them on, among other topics, corporate governance matters and proxy contests. In addition, Renee has substantial experience representing hedge funds, private equity firms, and emerging companies in a wide array of complex litigation matters.
Renee is a fierce advocate for her clients and a formidable courtroom opponent. She has tried multiple cases to verdict and has experience litigating in both federal and state courts (including New York and Delaware) as well as before the AAA, the ICC, and FINRA. Renee also has substantial appellate experience, having handled appeals to various federal Circuit Courts as well as to the highest courts in New York and Delaware.
Renee obtained her B.A. in International Relations from Stanford University and her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center.
Outside of the office, Renee enjoys travel and cultural exploration. She has traveled to 40 countries (and counting) and she speaks several languages, including fluent Spanish.
Securities & Shareholder Litigation
- Represented a public-company director and his hedge fund in defense of a shareholder suit filed in the Delaware Court of Chancery alleging breach of fiduciary duty. Led a three-day trial that resulted in a complete victory for the client. Secured another victory in the Delaware Supreme Court, which affirmed the judgment in the client’s favor.
- Represented a publicly-traded company and its directors and officers in responding to books and records demands and in defending against multi-district shareholder litigations.
- Won a decisive defense award in favor of a bulge-bracket investment bank after a three-day FINRA arbitration during which 11 witnesses testified to a three-member panel regarding a disputed bond trade.
- Represented an activist shareholder in defending against a federal suit alleging violations of Sections 14(a) and 13(d) of the Exchange Act and Section 8 of the Clayton Act. Won denial of a preliminary injunction, which sought to prevent the shareholder’s nominees from running for election.
- Represented multiple funds, investment managers, and offshore fund directors in defending against claims asserted under Section 16(b) of the Exchange Act, including several actions in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- Represented multiple hedge funds in claims arising from the purchase and conversion of warrants and convertible notes.
- Represented the founder of a broker-dealer in a partnership dispute. Achieved a victory in the Appellate Division, which dismissed the partners’ claim to forcibly strip the client of his equity. Obtained advancement, by order of the Delaware Court of Chancery, of 100% of the client’s legal fees, leading to the partners’ voluntary dismissal with prejudice of their remaining claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a real estate developer defrauded out of his one-third ownership interest in a hotel. Obtained a favorable settlement after successfully prosecuting claims for breach of the parties’ operating agreement, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as claims against the attorneys who facilitated the fraudulent transaction.
- Defended owners and managers of a real estate investment business against breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by a minority partner.
Other Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represented an international lender in prosecuting claims in the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court to recover under a multimillion-dollar loan. Led two trials spanning 12 days and argued an appeal before the Appellate Division, leading to the entry of judgments totaling $20 million.
- Represented an entrepreneur in a case involving claims for breach of contract and unfair competition and counterclaims brought under the Lanham Act. After a three-week federal jury trial, achieved a record-breaking $44 million jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with a disputed syndicated loan trade.
- Represented a trustee in a high-profile adversary proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, which, after a lengthy trial, found the defendants liable for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a large privately held fragrance licensing company against claims brought in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York pertaining to the status of the client’s license for a well-known fragrance brand.
Pro Bono Matters
- Achieved a rare reversal in the Appellate Division, First Department of an indigent defendant’s criminal conviction for gun possession, for which he was serving a 20-year-to-life sentence. Continued to defend the client in connection with his appeal to the New York Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a victory on behalf of an animal rights organization in a suit seeking records relating to animal testing.
- Co-author, "2 Investment Advice Rulings Offer Lessons On Insider Liability," Law360, July 2020
- “INSIGHT: Syndicated Loan Industry Gets a Win in New York Federal Court,” Bloomberg Law, July 2020
- “Supreme Court Upholds SEC Disgorgement Powers, With Limitations,” Thompson Hine Securities Litigation Update, June 2020
- "ISS Issues New Voting Policy Guidance in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- "Delaware Supreme Court Upholds Corporate Charter Provisions Requiring 1933 Act Claims to be Filed in Federal Court," Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, April 2020
- “INSIGHT: Covid-19 Securities Class Actions—Forecasts and Challenges,” Bloomberg Law, April 2020
- Principal contributing writer/editor, LexisNexis® Practice Guide: New York E-Discovery and Evidence
- "Specific Disclosures for Auctions," New York Law Journal, May 2008
- Selected to the New York Metro Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers®, 2015-2018
- Selected to Super Lawyers' Top Women Attorneys in New York list, 2010-2018
- New York City Bar Association, Council on Judicial Administration
- Federal Bar Council
- New York City Bar Association, Professional Responsibility Committee Secretary
July 09, 2020
July 06, 2020
April 15, 2020