Renee is a trial and appellate lawyer with more than a decade of experience representing businesses and individuals in complex commercial and corporate disputes, including claims arising under the federal securities laws, M&A and shareholder litigation, partnership disputes and business divorces, licensing disputes, and fiduciary breach claims. Renee’s clients have included Fortune 500 and middle-market companies, financial institutions and private investment funds, public company directors and other fiduciaries, real estate developers and investors, and high-net-worth individuals.
Renee is a skilled oral advocate with significant trial and courtroom experience. She has successfully tried cases in both federal and state courts, including the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court and the Delaware Chancery Court. She has also argued before the New York State Court of Appeals (New York’s highest court), the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court, the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court, the Delaware Chancery Court, and several U.S. District Courts. Renee also has substantial arbitration experience, having handled matters before the AAA, the ICC, and FINRA.
In addition to her trial practice, Renee also has significant appellate experience, having handled appeals to the New York Court of Appeals, the Delaware Supreme Court, the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Tenth Circuits. She is fluent in Spanish and also speaks French and Russian.
- Secured a judgment in favor of a hedge fund sued for aiding and abetting a breach of fiduciary duty allegedly committed by a public company board in approving the sale of the company. Represented the client in a three-day trial in the Delaware Chancery Court and on appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court, which affirmed the judgment in the client’s favor.
- Achieved a victory in the Appellate Division, First Department in favor of a lender seeking to recover under a multimillion-dollar loan. Represented the client in an eight-day trial in the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court and argued an appeal to the Appellate Division, First Department, which reversed the lower court decision and granted judgment to the client.
- Won a decisive defense award in favor of a bulge-bracket investment bank after a three-day FINRA arbitration during which 11 witnesses testified to a three-member panel regarding a disputed bond trade.
- Achieved a victory in the Appellate Division, First Department on behalf of the founder of a broker-dealer embroiled in a dispute with his partners. The First Department reversed the lower court decision and dismissed the partners’ claim to force the client to sell his one-third interest in the enterprise. Obtained advancement, by order of the Delaware Chancery Court, of 100% of the client’s legal fees, leading to the partners’ voluntary dismissal with prejudice of their remaining claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Achieved a record-breaking $44 million jury verdict on behalf of a client after a three-week federal jury trial in a case involving claims for breach of contract and unfair competition and counterclaims brought under the Lanham Act.
- Represented an activist fund that was sued for alleged violations of Sections 14(a) and 13(d) of the Exchange Act and Section 8 of the Clayton Act. Won denial of a preliminary injunction, which sought to prevent the fund’s nominees from running for election.
- Represented multiple clients in defending claims asserted under Section 16(b) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including several actions in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- Represented multiple hedge funds in claims arising from purchases of convertible instruments and other securities.
- Represented a real estate developer defrauded out of his one-third ownership interest in a hotel. Obtained a favorable settlement after successfully prosecuting claims for breach of the parties’ operating agreement, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as claims against the attorneys who facilitated the fraudulent transaction.
- Defended owners and managers of a real estate investment business against breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by a minority partner.
- Represented a trustee in a high-profile adversary proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York involving claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a large privately held fragrance licensing company against claims brought in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York pertaining to the status of the client’s license for a well-known fragrance brand.
Pro Bono Matters
- Achieved reversal in the Appellate Division, First Department of an indigent defendant’s criminal conviction for gun possession, for which he was serving a 20-year-to-life sentence. Continued to defend the client in connection with his appeal to the New York Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a victory on behalf of an animal rights organization in a suit seeking records relating to animal testing.
- Assisted with the formation of and obtaining tax-exempt status for an organization that provides digital literacy training to underprivileged communities in New York.
- Principal contributing writer/editor, LexisNexis® Practice Guide: New York E-Discovery and Evidence
- "Specific Disclosures for Auctions," New York Law Journal, May 2008
- Selected to the New York Metro Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers®, 2015-2018
- Selected to Super Lawyers' Top Women Attorneys in New York list, 2010-2018
- New York City Bar Association, Professional Responsibility Committee Secretary, 2008-2011