Laura Watson Schultz
Pro Bono Committee
As an associate in the Business Litigation group, Laura is skilled in resolving a wide range of complex litigation matters. Laura focuses her practice on commercial and contract disputes, class action defense, securities litigation, business torts, fiduciary duty claims, professional negligence claims, employment-related issues, disputes under the Uniform Commercial Code, and defense of claims against lending institutions on various consumer finance matters. She also has extensive experience coordinating and managing electronic discovery for her clients in significant litigation matters.
Laura is an avid supporter of Thompson Hine’s pro bono initiative and primarily works on matters impacting women and children. She also supports access to justice for Northeast Ohio’s most vulnerable individuals by serving as a Partner for Justice, where she raises awareness and funds for The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland.
Laura is actively engaged in the community and serves as the First Vice Chair of the Board of Directors for the Girl Scouts of North East Ohio. She is also a volunteer teacher for the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s 3Rs program, where she helps 10th graders in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District improve their understanding of the U.S. Constitution.
- Successfully defeated class certification in defense of one of the country’s largest banks in claim alleging breach of trust indenture agreement (Gresser v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 43302 (D. Md, Mar. 31, 2014))
- Successfully defeated class certification in a consumer class action on behalf of a national bank as secured lender in claims alleging violations of Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code's provisions regarding the written notice of sale the lender provided to debtors after their default, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Member of team responsible for successfully obtaining dismissal of shipowner defendants in thousands of asbestos litigation cases pending in multi-district litigation based on lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Represented a major financial institution, as insured, in suit against title insurance company, challenging denial of over 200 claims made under hybrid title insurance policy, sometimes called lien protection insurance, after real estate market collapse. Obtained confidential settlement after three days of mediation. KeyBank National Association v. First American Title Ins. Co., Case No. 1:10 CV 2143 (N.D. Ohio).
- Prosecuted four separate actions on behalf of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation as Receiver against a failed bank’s closing attorneys and title agents for claims of attorney malpractice, negligence, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty relating to a mortgage fraud scheme perpetrated in the New York Metropolitan Area involving more than 60 residential mortgages.
- Prosecuted a fidelity bond claim on behalf of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation as Receiver and obtained a favorable settlement based on losses caused by dishonest conduct of the failed bank’s closing attorneys who represented the bank at the closings of 104 residential mortgages involved in mortgage fraud scheme perpetrated in the New York Metropolitan Area.
- Successfully obtained a temporary restraining order against a bank’s closing attorney who had repeatedly failed to turn over his closing files regarding the closings of 20 residential mortgages involved in a mortgage fraud scheme perpetrated in the New York Metropolitan area.
- Defended one of the nation’s largest firearms dealers in litigation pending in federal court in North Carolina involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation and violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Defended a supplier of transit parts against former employee’s claims for violations of the Ohio Whistleblower statute, the federal False Claims Act, and wrongful termination, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented municipality in Clean Water Act (CWA) enforcement action brought by U.S. EPA and Ohio EPA regarding Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs).
- Represented a corrugated packaging company in litigation with former CEO and majority shareholder over his departure.
- Represented a leading presenter of museum-quality touring exhibitions in litigation with former CEO over his departure.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of a variety of public and private entities.
Co-author (with Tony Rospert), “Prepare to Settle: Develop a Pre-Mediation Framework for Complex Business Disputes,” CMBA Bar Journal, November 2014
- Women of Professional Excellence Award recipient, YWCA Greater Cleveland, 2017
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Girl Scouts of North East Ohio, Chair, Board of Directors; National Delegate
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Volunteer Teacher for 3Rs Program
- Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, Partner for Justice and volunteer lawyer
- PetFix Northeast Ohio, volunteer
- YWCA Greater Cleveland Women’s Leadership Boot Camp, Class of 2013-2014