In private practice
- Independent investigation for public agency regarding agency’s handling of sexual abuse allegations.
- Internal investigation for publicly traded company regarding alleged False Claims Act violations.
- Internal investigation for audit committee of major reinsurance company regarding alleged accounting irregularities.
- Corporate executive in connection with Department of Justice criminal investigation into bid rigging and price fixing allegations.
- Executives of broker-dealer under investigation by U.S. Attorney’s Office and SEC for insider trading.
- Employees of large government contractor in connection with investigation of company for False Claims Act violations.
- Various individuals in connection with U.S. Attorney’s Office public corruption investigations.
- Scientist charged with economic espionage and theft of trade secrets.
- Business owner charged with manufacturing counterfeit goods.
- Financial advisor in connection with U.S. Attorney’s Office and SEC fraud investigation.
- Professor under investigation by U.S. Attorney’s Office for False Claims Act violations.
- Former executive of major financial institution in civil litigation before federal banking agency.
- Publicly traded company in federal trade secret trial against former employee and Chinese competitor.
- Publicly traded company in federal breach of contract trial.
- Publicly traded grocery store chain in arbitration alleging breach of non-compete agreement by former chief executive.
- National retailer in federal lawsuit suit against manufacturer alleging anticompetitive practices in pricing of goods.
- Pet food company in lawsuit to recover damages resulting from international price-fixing conspiracy.
- Italian luxury clothing manufacturer and Canadian distributor in fraud and civil conspiracy suit brought by U.S. distributor.
- Successfully argued case of first impression before Illinois Supreme Court on behalf of pro bono client regarding imposition of extended term prison sentence.
For the government
- Led the investigation and prosecution of former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives for illegally structuring financial transactions and obstructing justice.
- Investigated, prosecuted and tried a former police officer and 18 others in a racketeering, kidnapping, money laundering and narcotics conspiracy case.
- Led the bribery investigation and prosecution of executive at city contractor involved in privatization of city’s parking meter program.
- Investigated and prosecuted village clerk for wire fraud scheme involving theft of public funds and tax evasion.
- Secured convictions of seven defendants paying or accepting bribes to steer public works contracts for over a decade.
- Secured the conviction of city official for embezzling public funds and tax fraud.
- Investigated and prosecuted owner of Chicago Public Schools’ largest school bus contractor for tax evasion scheme.
- Led prosecution of eight defendants convicted of bank fraud, perjury and other charges arising from massive identity theft scheme.
- Supervised prosecution of first trial in Cook County involving charges brought under state racketeering law.
- Quoted, “Dems push DOJ to probe DeSantis over migrants. But there’s no easy legal answer.,” POLITICO, September 2022
- Quoted, “Long sentence in New York calls into question how R. Kelly’s Chicago cases might proceed,” Chicago Tribune, July 2022 (subscription required)
- Quoted, “Could judge order Heather Mack released? Experts say odds are slim,” Chicago Sun Times, November 2021
- Quoted, “Garland’s 2nd Half Agenda: Corruption, COVID-19 And Crypto,” Law 360, July 2021
- Co-author, “Mitigating risks in prescribing and dispensing chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19,” Compliance Today, June 2020
- “Federal, state authorities step up efforts to prevent hoarding of chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine,” Medcity News, April 16, 2020
- Quoted, “APhA coronavirus watch: Inappropriate prescribing poses dilemma for pharmacists,” The American Pharmacists Association, March 2020
- “As More Employees Work Remotely, Protecting Trade Secrets Must Remain ‘Essential Business,’” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Insider Trading Compliance During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “U.S. Alleges Huawei Involved in Long-Running Scheme to Steal Trade Secrets,” Thompson Hine White-Collar Update, February 2020
- Quoted, “Former federal prosecutors and ex-FBI boss say Trump sent wrong message with Blagojevich decision,” Chicago Tribune, February 2020
- “U.S. Probes Scientists and Academics with Overseas Ties, Targets Trade Secret Transfers,” Thompson Hine White-Collar Update, January 2020
- Co-author, “Justice Department Emphasizes Antitrust Enforcement Through Creation of Multi-Agency and Bid-Rigging Strike Force,” Thompson Hine Antitrust & Government Contracts Update, November 2019
- “12 Tips for Facing Down an Antitrust Investigation,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2019
- Co-author, “Beyond the Mob: ‘Varsity Blues’ and DOJ’s Expanding Use of RICO to Prosecute White-Collar Crime,” Criminal Justice, American Bar Association, Fall 2019
- “DOJ Still Pursuing Traders for Spoofing, Despite Thakkar Setback,” Bloomberg Law, September 2019
- Quoted, “R. Kelly’s Road Through Criminal Woes Becomes Much Tougher as Feds Join Forces Against Him,” Chicago Tribune, July 2019
- Quoted, “What’s Next For R. Kelly After Latest Child Porn, Obstruction and Racketeering Charges?” Chicago Sun Times, July 2019
- “Spoofing Programmer Mistrial Sparks Questions About Future DOJ Prosecutions,” Bloomberg Law, April 2019
- “DOJ Criminally Charges Executives for Failure to Timely Report Under CPSA,” Thompson Hine Government Enforcement/CPSC Update, April 2019
- “DOJ Opioid Warning Letters—Legitimate Law Enforcement Purpose or Prosecutorial Overreach?,” Bloomberg Law, February 2019
- Quoted, “Stone Pleads Not Guilty as Feds Prepare For ‘Complex Case’,” Law 360, February 2019
- Quoted, “Cook County Prosecutors Flooded With Calls About R. Kelly,” Chicago Tribune, January 2019
- Guest, NewsNation, Dan Abrams Live, “Lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis claims migrants are victims of fraud,” September 2022
- CBS News Chicago, “Have More Federal Charges for Carjacking Crimes Help to Cut the Numbers Down?,” July, 2022
- CBS News Chicago, “More Than A Dozen People From Chicago Area Have Been Arrested In Connection With Capitol Insurrection, But Only One Has Been Sentenced to Jail Time,” January 2022
- CBS News Chicago, “Pharmacist Arrested for Selling COVID Vaccination Cards Online,” August 2021
- Guest, “Gaetz-gate,” Yahoo! News Skullduggery podcast, hosted by Michael Isikoff, March 2021
- CBS News Chicago, “Illinois Investigators Looking Into Blank COVID-19 Vaccine Cards Being Sold Online,” March 2021
- CBS News Chicago, “Prosecutors Charge Three With Threatening Women in R.Kelly Sex Abuse Case,” August 2020
- WBEZ News, “How Your Private Illinois Tollway Data Is Shared With Cops And Divorce Lawyers,” September 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “R. Kelly Charges: Singer Faces Two Federal Indictments: Child Porn, Enticement, And Obstruction Charges In Chicago; Sex Trafficking Case In New York,” July 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “Michael Avenatti Arrested on Federal Charges of Wire Fraud and Extortion,” March 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “Jussie Smollett Pleads Not Guilty to Disorderly Conduct Indictment.” March 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “Illinois Supreme Court Denies Bid to Resentence Van Dyke,” March 2019
- CBS News, “”Roger Stone Case Set For Trial,” March 2019
- CBS News, “Why Was Flynn’s Sentencing Delayed?,” January 2019
- “Investigation & Prosecution of Trade-Based Money Laundering via Cryptocurrency,” Attorney General Alliance, March 2021
- “Federal Criminal Trade Secret Law and Managing Risks of IP Theft,” Thompson Hine White Collar Crime – Recent Developments and Emerging Risks Webinar, March 2021
- “Economic Crimes Evidence,” National District Attorneys Association, March 2019
- “Discovery Issues for Prosecutors,” National District Attorneys Association, March 2019
- “Following the Money,” National District Attorneys Association, April 2018
- “Discovery Obligations,” National District Attorneys Association, April 2018
- “Investigating and Prosecuting Financial Crimes,” Illinois State’s Attorneys Best Practices Committee, 2017
- “Advanced Forensic Accounting for Prosecutors and Investigators,” U.S. Department of Justice, Sarajevo, Bosnia, 2017
- “Investigating and Prosecuting Corruption Crimes,” U.S. Department of Justice, Sarajevo, Bosnia, 2016
- “Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting and Law,” Crain’s Chicago Business, 2021
- “Notable Rising Stars in Law,” Crain’s Chicago Business, 2021
- Commissioner, Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission
- Drug Enforcement Administration Special Recognition Award
- Chicago Bar Foundation, Maurice Weigle Exceptional Young Lawyer Award
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, Student Funded Public Interest Fellowship Public Service Award
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1999,
Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, staff editor
- Northwestern University, B.S., 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Select a filter
- Thompson Hine Partner Steven A. Block Appointed by Mayor Lightfoot to Chicago Police Board,
Thompson Hine LLP, February 16, 2022
- Crain’s 2021 Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting and Law,
Crain’s Chicago Business, November 24, 2021
- Crain’s Chicago Business 2021 Notable Rising Stars in Law,
Crain’s Chicago Business, September 8, 2021
- Garland’s 2nd Half Agenda: Corruption, COVID-19 And Crypto,
Law360, July 6, 2021
- Thompson Hine Partner Steven Block Named to The Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission by Illinois Governor JB Pritzker,
Thompson Hine LLP, April 19, 2021
- Selective Disclosure: Regulation FD Compliance Remains Relevant,
Risk & Compliance, April 14, 2021
- Podcast: Skullduggery “Gaetz-gate”, April 5, 2021
- Federal, state authorities step up efforts to prevent hoarding of chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine,
MedCity News, April 16, 2020
- APhA coronavirus watch: Inappropriate prescribing poses dilemma for pharmacists,
The American Pharmacists Association, March 31, 2020
- As More Employees Work Remotely, Protecting Trade Secrets Must Remain Essential Business,
COVID-19 Update, March 26, 2020