Arik A. Sherk
Arik is a partner in Thompson Hine’s Commercial & Public Finance practice group.
Arik focuses his practice on public finance in a variety of capacities, including bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel and credit enhancer’s counsel, in connection with the issuance of tax-exempt bonds and taxable obligations. A large portion of his practice involves acting as bond counsel for and representing municipalities, port authorities, real estate developers and bond underwriters in various tax increment and pilot financings. Arik also advises municipalities, businesses and real estate developers with respect to various public incentives, including tax credits and tax abatements.
- Bond counsel in connection with the issuance of tax increment revenue bonds for the financing of public parking garages for an office complex in Blue Ash, Ohio.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with a tax increment financing for the public infrastructure improvements for the Summit Park mixed-use redevelopment of the Cincinnati-Blue Ash Airport.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with a tax increment financing and other public incentives related to the relocation of Ensemble Health Partners, a large employer with 2,500 jobs, to Blue Ash, Ohio.
- Counsel to the city of Fairborn, Ohio in connection with various economic development transactions, including an economic development forgivable loan and other incentives to a pharmaceutical company relocating to the city; an economic development loan to a manufacturing firm for the purchase of equipment for its manufacturing business in the city; the conveyance of city-owned properties to the city’s community improvement corporation for the ultimate economic purpose of assisting in the promotion of the food services business incubator and the promotion of food services related startup businesses within the city; the conveyance by the city of a fire station to a private entity to be renovated in to a brewpub; and the foreclosure of a lien for nuisance abatement costs on a defunct shopping center to acquire the property for economic redevelopment.
- Counsel to the municipality (and bond counsel) in connection with the issuance of multiple series of tax increment revenue notes and bonds to finance the public infrastructure improvements for the Rivers Crossing multiphase mixed-use real estate development in South Lebanon, Ohio, including a “back-to-back” bond issue with the Warren County Port Authority.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with the creation of a community reinvestment area to provide a tax abatement for the development of a market-rate multifamily housing project in South Lebanon, Ohio.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with the creation of a community reinvestment area to provide a tax abatement for the redevelopment of the historic Peters Cartridge Company property to be annexed to South Lebanon, Ohio.
- Bond counsel in connection with the issuance of general obligation bonds to be supported by special assessments to finance road improvements supporting the development of a manufacturing and distribution park in Sharonville, Ohio
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with the levying of special assessments to finance parking facilities for an office building in Sharonville, Ohio.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with a tax increment financing for the Electrical Power Integrated Systems Research and Development Center on the campus of the University of Dayton.
- Counsel to the municipality and bond counsel in connection with the issuance of non-tax revenue notes (secured by the Ohio Markets Access Program credit enhancement) for the financing of land acquisitions for the development of the area surrounding a new highway interchange on I-75 in West Carrollton, Ohio.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with the preparation and negotiation for a comprehensive compensation agreement with the school district for all future tax increment financings in West Carrollton, Ohio.
- Counsel to the municipality in connection with the acquisition by the city of West Carrollton, Ohio and its community improvement corporation of various properties within the city for economic development purposes, including the acquisition of a 29-acre site of a former paper mill and its waste water treatment facilities.
- “Public/Private Partnerships, Alternative Anchors, and Other Winning Strategies for Twenty-First Century Retail Development Projects - Use of TIF and Special Assessments Financing/Avon Interchange,” 2013 ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan And Western Pennsylvania Retail Development & Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio
- “New Markets Tax Credits: Upfront Guidelines for Developers,” 2012 Urban Land Institute, Cleveland, Ohio
- “Tax Increment Financings, Tax Abatements and the New Prevailing Wage Requirement Guidelines,” 2008 Dayton Area Board of Realtors
- “Tax Increment Financings: The Current Laws & Updates,” 2006 I-70/75 Development Association Annual Meeting
- “Condominium, Housing and Mixed Use Development: Tax Increment Financings,” 2005 Land Development Conference
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in current edition of The Best Lawyers in America, recognized for more than 10 years; Lawyer of the Year in 2015 in the area of Banking and Finance Law
- Named by the American Red Cross Dayton Area Chapter as a 2010 Volunteer of the Year and recipient of the Unsung Hero Award