As a partner in the Antitrust, Competition & Distribution group who focuses on antitrust issues, Josh guides clients through the regulatory review of mergers and acquisitions, from deal inception and risk assessment to clearance by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice. He also provides strategic advice and counseling to U.S. and foreign clients on critical competition questions and has extensive antitrust litigation experience. In addition, Josh provides training and guidance on antitrust compliance issues. He has advised clients in a broad range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, chemicals, energy, mining, retail, financial products, airline, animal health, automotive, seafood, software, spirits, technology and telecommunications.
Josh’s experience also includes a secondment as antitrust counsel in the London office of a global financial institution, where he provided antitrust counseling and served as in-house counsel for cross-jurisdictional internal investigations and litigation.
Immediately following law school, Josh served as a judicial law clerk for the Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama.
Josh is not admitted to practice in the District of Columbia. Practice is supervised by principals of the firm.
Examples of Josh’s experience include:
- Representing an LSE-listed medical device company in its $4.2 billion takeover by a leading global medical technology company, which was cleared by the FTC and other international regulators after the negotiation of a global remedy.
- Representing a global private equity firm in its $3.4 billion acquisition of the methacrylates business of one of the largest specialty chemicals companies in the world.
- Representing an NYSE-listed global industrial packaging company in connection with its $1.8 billion acquisition of a recycled paperboard and packaging solutions company.
- Representing a global health care company in connection with its $4.3 billion agreement to acquire a manufacturer of prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceutical products.
- Representing an NYSE-listed global IT services provider in its $14 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction involving a multinational enterprise information technology company’s global enterprise services segment and a global provider of information technology services and professional services.
- Representing a U.K.-based private equity and venture capital firm in its $385 million acquisition of a U.S.-based concessionaire of airport services.
- Representing an SET-listed global chemical producer in connection with its $314 million acquisition of a manufacturer and supplier of nonwoven hygiene fabrics.
- Representing a global infrastructure fund manager in its $220 million acquisition of an owner and operator of toll bridges and tunnels.
- Representing an ASX-listed manufacturing company in its takeover by a Japan-based construction equipment company.
- Representing a Dutch telecommunications company in the sale of a wholly owned U.S. subsidiary to a global provider of communications solutions.
- Representing a global health service company in its $54 billion merger with a managed health care company.
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company in its $5.4 billion acquisition of an animal health company.
- Representing a commercial airline in its slot transaction with another commercial airline.
- Representing a multinational pharmaceutical corporation in its $68 billion acquisition of another global pharmaceutical company.
- Representing a Thailand-based producer of seafood products and a U.S.-based provider of packaged seafood in a class action litigation involving price fixing in the packaged tuna industry.
- Representing a UK-based banking and financial services company in multidistrict class action litigation alleging violations of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.
- Representing a European banking group in multidistrict class action litigation alleging antitrust violations in the municipal derivatives industry.
- Representing the largest U.S. dairy in arbitration involving claims alleging manipulation of the spot cheese market and milk futures contracts.
- Representing a U.S. brewing company in a confidential arbitration involving breach of contract and theft of trade secret claims.
- Co-author, "Antitrust Agencies Suspend Early Termination - Temporary or Indefinite?" Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, February 2021
- Co-author, "HSR Filing Thresholds Decrease in 2021," Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, February 2021
- Co-author, "Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade," Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 2020
- Co-author, “Beware Antitrust Risks in Syndicated Lending, ”Law360.com, March 2017
Included on New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (2015-2017)
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- New York City Bar Association, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Committee (2016-2019)
Webinar - Antitrust for Americas/UK/Europe - Important Competition Law Considerations in Recent Mining Mergers Around the WorldThe Fasken Annual Seminar Series
February 11, 2021
Joshua Shapiro Joins Thompson Hine’s New York Antitrust Practice Thompson Hine LLP
June 25, 2020
February 24, 2021