Securities & Shareholder Litigation
- Represented a public-company director and his hedge fund in defense of a shareholder suit filed in the Delaware Court of Chancery alleging breach of fiduciary duty. Led a three-day trial that resulted in a complete victory for the client. Secured another victory in the Delaware Supreme Court, which affirmed the judgment in the client’s favor.
- Represented a publicly-traded company and its directors and officers in responding to books and records demands and in defending against multi-district shareholder litigations.
- Won a decisive defense award in favor of a bulge-bracket investment bank after a three-day FINRA arbitration during which 11 witnesses testified to a three-member panel regarding a disputed bond trade.
- Represented an activist shareholder in defending against a federal suit alleging violations of Sections 14(a) and 13(d) of the Exchange Act and Section 8 of the Clayton Act. Won denial of a preliminary injunction, which sought to prevent the shareholder’s nominees from running for election.
- Represented multiple funds, investment managers, and offshore fund directors in defending against claims asserted under Section 16(b) of the Exchange Act, including several actions in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- Represented multiple hedge funds in claims arising from the purchase and conversion of warrants and convertible notes.
- Represented the founder of a broker-dealer in a partnership dispute. Achieved a victory in the Appellate Division, which dismissed the partners’ claim to forcibly strip the client of his equity. Obtained advancement, by order of the Delaware Court of Chancery, of 100% of the client’s legal fees, leading to the partners’ voluntary dismissal with prejudice of their remaining claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a real estate developer defrauded out of his one-third ownership interest in a hotel. Obtained a favorable settlement after successfully prosecuting claims for breach of the parties’ operating agreement, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as claims against the attorneys who facilitated the fraudulent transaction.
- Defended owners and managers of a real estate investment business against breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by a minority partner.
Other Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represented an international lender in prosecuting claims in the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court to recover under a multimillion-dollar loan. Led two trials spanning 12 days and argued an appeal before the Appellate Division, leading to the entry of judgments totaling $20 million.
- Represented an entrepreneur in a case involving claims for breach of contract and unfair competition and counterclaims brought under the Lanham Act. After a three-week federal jury trial, achieved a record-breaking $44 million jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with a disputed syndicated loan trade.
- Represented a trustee in a high-profile adversary proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, which, after a lengthy trial, found the defendants liable for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a large privately held fragrance licensing company against claims brought in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York pertaining to the status of the client’s license for a well-known fragrance brand.
Pro Bono Matters
- Achieved a rare reversal in the Appellate Division, First Department of an indigent defendant’s criminal conviction for gun possession, for which he was serving a 20-year-to-life sentence. Continued to defend the client in connection with his appeal to the New York Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a victory on behalf of an animal rights organization in a suit seeking records relating to animal testing.
- Assisted with the formation of and obtaining tax-exempt status for an organization that provides digital literacy training to underprivileged communities in New York.
- Interviewed in, “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40 – Renee Zaytsev of Thompson Hine,” Bloomberg Law, July 2022
- “2021 ESG Litigation Offers Pointers For The Year Ahead,” Law360, December 3, 2022
- Quoted in, “Four Delaware M&A litigation issues lawyers are watching in 2022,” Reuters, December 2021
- Quoted in, “Four Delaware rulings from 2021 that could shape M&A litigation,” Reuters, December 2021
- “A ‘Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don’t’ – Type Thing: ESG Disclosures and the Prospect of Future Litigation,” AmLaw Litigation Daily, September 2021
- Quoted in, “Delaware’s Dizzying Slate Of M&A Issues In 2021, Law360, August 13, 2021
- Quoted in, “Robinhood Fine A Harbinger Of Looming Regulatory Clashes,” Law360, July 2, 2021
- “Material Adverse Event Litigation Roundup,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2021
- “Supreme Court Issues Ruling in Goldman Sachs v. Arkansas Teacher Retirement System,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, June 2021
- “Pandemic Poison Pill Wave Crashes,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2021
- Co-author, “2 Investment Advice Rulings Offer Lessons On Insider Liability,” Law360, July 2020
- “INSIGHT: Syndicated Loan Industry Gets a Win in New York Federal Court,” Bloomberg Law, July 2020
- “Supreme Court Upholds SEC Disgorgement Powers, With Limitations,” Thompson Hine Securities Litigation Update, June 2020
- “ISS Issues New Voting Policy Guidance in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “Delaware Supreme Court Upholds Corporate Charter Provisions Requiring 1933 Act Claims to be Filed in Federal Court,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, April 2020
- “INSIGHT: Covid-19 Securities Class Actions—Forecasts and Challenges,” Bloomberg Law, April 2020
- Principal contributing writer/editor, LexisNexis® Practice Guide: New York E-Discovery and Evidence
- “Specific Disclosures for Auctions,” New York Law Journal, May 2008
- “Managing Your Legal ESG Risk: Disclosure Best Practices and Averting Greenwashing and SEC Claims,” Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE) ESG and Compliance Conference, April 2022
- Presenter, “Recent Trends in Shareholder Litigation,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Coffee Chat Webinar Series, October 27, 2021
- Host, “A Conversation with The Hon. J. Travis Laster, Vice Chancellor, Delaware Court of Chancery,” April 13, 2021
- Selected to Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List, 2022
- Selected to Bloomberg Law “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40,” 2022
- Selected to Law360’s Mergers & Acquisitions Editorial Board, 2022
- Named Attorney of the Week by Verizon Associate General Counsel Rippi Karda
- Selected to the New York Metro Super Lawyers list, 2021
- Selected to the New York Metro Rising Stars list, 2015-2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers’ Top Women Attorneys in New York list, 2010-2018
- New York City Bar Association, Council on Judicial Administration
- Federal Bar Council
- New York City Bar Association, Professional Responsibility Committee Secretary
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2007,
Georgetown Immigration Law Journal, editor
- Stanford University, 2003
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Select a filter
- They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40 – Renee Zaytsev of Thompson Hine,
Bloomberg Law, July 28, 2022
- 2021 ESG Litigation Offers Pointers For The Year Ahead,
Law360, January 3, 2022
- Four Delaware rulings from 2021 that could shape M&A litigation, December 30, 2021
- How I Made Partner: “I Found Synergies With My Colleagues and Created Opportunities for Our Collective Success”,
Law.com, December 20, 2021
- Six Thompson Hine Lawyers Recognized by New York Super Lawyers 2021,
Thompson Hine LLP, September 30, 2021
- ‘A ‘Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don’t’- Type Thing: ESG Disclosures and the Prospect of Future Litigation, September 30, 2021
- Business Law Update – Summer 2021,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, June 28, 2021
- Supreme Court Issues Ruling in Goldman Sachs v. Arkansas Teacher Retirement System,
Business Litigation Update, June 28, 2021
- Pandemic Poison Pill Wave Crashes,
COVID-19 Update, March 16, 2021
- Thompson Hine Elects 11 New Partners,
Thompson Hine LLP, January 26, 2021