John P. Monahon
As a partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities group who serves as corporate counsel for high-growth technology and middle-market companies, John provides guidance on corporate finance, technology agreements, and mergers and acquisitions. He has significant experience representing venture-backed and private equity-owned companies, which he advises on corporate governance, debt and equity financing, and go-to-market strategies. He also has extensive capabilities in drafting and negotiating end-to-end tech agreements. In addition, John advises early-stage and emerging companies on a broad range of operational matters.
While earning a joint international M.B.A. and J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law and University of South Carolina Moore School of Business, John spent significant time working in the joint venture department of China’s largest law firm as part of the program.
John is the co-founder of a company that created a leading holiday product on Amazon and which has been featured on Shark Tank, QVC and CNBC.com.
Examples of John’s experience include:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a managed IT services company in its sale of a controlling interest to a private equity firm.
- Represented an accounting cloud provider in its sale of assets to a private equity-owned competitor.
- Represented a Brazilian digital technology company in its acquisition of a U.S. design agency.
- Represented a B2B service center software company in its merger with a B2C repair network solution.
- Represented a document management company in its sale of a SaaS product critical to the operations of a Fortune 100 insurance company.
- Co-represented a multiple listing service (MLS) solutions company in its sale of assets to a NASDAQ-listed online real estate company.
- Represented numerous investors and companies in shareholder buyouts, strategic acquisitions, recapitalizations and reorganizations.
Venture Capital & Other Financings
- Represented a P2P platform in its Series A financing and convertible debt financings with a public company.
- Represented a supply chain software company in convertible debt financing and Series Seed financings of over $5 million.
- Represented a semiconductor technology company in multiple rounds of preferred stock financings in aggregate excess of $25 million.
- Represented a SaaS loyalty rewards company in its Series A and B financings with leading venture funds.
- Represented an online meeting platform in multiple rounds of equity financing in excess of $8 million.
- Represented an equipment leasing company and its subsidiaries in a debt offering with warrants.
- Represented numerous clients in convertible note, SAFE and venture debt transactions.
Technology & Commercial Agreements
- Negotiate and draft licensing agreements for emerging technology transactions with Fortune 500 businesses.
- Streamline client business processes and sales cycles by delivering improved SaaS agreements, software license agreements, end-user terms, support policies, professional services agreements, reseller agreements, partner agreements, independent representative agreements and referral agreements.
- Structure and negotiate joint ventures, strategic partnerships and white label agreements.
- Advise product companies on manufacturing agreements, retail and wholesale contracts, intellectual property registrations and disputes, and licensing transactions.
- Contributor, “In with the In Crowd? The Entrepreneurs’ Guide to Crowdfunding,” Forbes.com (2015)
- Speaker, “CCPA: What you Need to Know,” Interact Law Bi-Annual Meeting (2019)
- Speaker, “Business Sale Preparation,” Exit Planning Institute webinar (2019)
- Speaker, “Starting Your Own Business,” continuing education seminar (2018–2019)
- Speaker, “Preparing for a Funding Transaction,” Launchpad 2x Workshop (2018–2019)
- Panelist, “Doing Business under New Privacy Laws,” Interact Law Meeting (2018)
- Speaker, “The Name of Their Company is What?! Strategies for Dealing with Trademark Infringement,” NAMWOLF Annual Meeting (2017)
- Guest, various radio shows and podcasts, including The Dana Barrett Show, 640AM WGST, and Spotlight Business Leader, Gwinnett Business Radio (2015–2019)
- Panelist, “How to Start Up in Atlanta,” The Founder Institute (2015)
- Southern Capital Forum, member
- The Founder Institute, former mentor
- The Hub, former mentor
- Aimee Copeland Foundation, former board member
- Atlanta Gamecock Club, former board member
- LifeLine Animal Project, past pro bono legal representation
September 02, 2020