Tasha Nicole Miracle
Senior Managing Associate
Tasha is a senior managing associate in the firm’s Environmental practice. She advises on all areas of environmental law at the local, state, and federal levels, but focuses primarily on assisting clients with CERCLA, RCRA, CWA, and CAA mobile source issues, including providing guidance on business, regulatory and legislative matters; defending clients’ interests in environmental enforcement actions; advising on compliance with environmental regulations; and assisting clients with transactions that have environmental components. Tasha is especially passionate about helping clients address their waste management (including recycling) and mobile source concerns.
Before joining the firm, Tasha was an Assistant Attorney General in the Water Division of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office’s Environmental Enforcement Section, where she represented the Ohio EPA in civil enforcement cases and administrative appeals. Prior to that, as a William B. Saxbe Fellow in the Environmental Enforcement Section, she participated as counsel before the Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Commission and the Oil and Gas Commission on a variety of cases in different areas of environmental law, and interacted regularly with various state-level policy makers.
- Defending recycling companies pursued under CERCLA by state governments and or private entities.
- Advising recycling companies and industrial manufacturers on operational strategies to mitigate waste management-related liabilities under CERCLA, RCRA, and state law.
- Assisting clients with Brownfield projects in several states.
- Advising manufacturing clients on CWA stormwater permitting obligations.
- Assisting with industrial clients’ remedial obligations at CERCLA and RCRA sites.
- Counseling electric vehicle clients on compliance with CAA and CARB mobile source requirements.
- While at the State, defended Ohio EPA NPDES permit terms in manufacturing entities’ administrative appeals of such terms.
- Assisting large manufacturing clients in complying with pretreatment permits, including retaining consultants to analyze wastewater treatment equipment and propose strategies for more cost-effective compliance moving forward.
- Defending large manufacturing clients against notices of violation related to pretreatment permits.
- Helping clients assess and manage remedial obligations related to wastewater at federal and state cleanup sites.
- Counseling clients regarding pretreatment and NPDES permit compliance generally.
- Defending clients against Clean Water Act citizen suits related to NPDES permit and stormwater permit compliance issues.
- Co-author, "A Time to Reflect: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Impact On Environmental Law," New York Law Journal, March 17, 2021
- “SCOTUS Rules Certain Indirect Discharges Require CWA Permit,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, April 2020
- “U.S. EPA and Army Corps Publish Final WOTUS Rule,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, April 2020
- “Muddied Waters: Sixth Circuit Rejects Expansion of CWA Jurisdiction,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, October 2018
- “Fourth Circuit Holds CWA Regulates Indirect Discharges from Ground Water to Navigable Surface Waters,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, April 2018
- Co-author (with Dr. Michael J. Burton), “The Emergence of Voter Targeting,” Political Marketing in the U.S., 2014
- “Regulatory Update – The First 100 Days: Environmental Law in the Biden Administration,” ASC Regulatory Affairs Update, April 2021
- “Insights on Environmental Shifts Under the Biden Administration,” Thompson Hine Webinar, January 2021
- "A Special Tribute: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Impact on the Legal Profession and Environmental Law," Thompson Hine Environmental L.A.W.S. Podcast, November 2020
- “Environmental Compliance in a COVID-19 World: Best Practices and Risk Mitigation Strategies,” Thompson Hine Webinar, June 2020
- “Prioritize, Incentivize, Revitalize: U.S. EPA's Ongoing Quest to Reform the Superfund Program,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, July 2018
- Received a 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Environmental Law; included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Environment Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, 2013
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Committee, subcommittee co-chair
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Section, Vice Chair (2017-2018)
- DRI Women in the Law Section, Webcast, Teleconference, and Podcast Subcommittee, Vice Chair (2018)
- Downtown Cleveland Residents Association, Governance Committee Member (2017-2018)
- Legal Aid Society of Columbus
A Time To Reflect: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Impact on Environmental LawNew York Law Journal
March 17, 2021