Ellen M. Maniaci
Cincinnati Vice Chair, Spotlight on Women
Ellen is an associate in the firm’s Business Litigation group with first and second chair trial experience and has practiced in state and federal courts in Ohio and throughout the country. She has a wide range of experience in a variety of areas including commercial contract disputes, business torts, shareholder litigation, insurance recovery, construction, real estate/land use litigation, and product liability. Ellen handles all aspects of litigation, including case assessment and preparation of pleadings, all phases of discovery, managing complex document collections, reviews, and productions, taking and defending fact and expert witness depositions, preparing and arguing dispositive motions, all aspects of trial, and negotiating and preparing settlement agreements. She also has successfully represented clients in mediations and arbitrations. Ellen utilizes SmartPaTH, the firm’s proprietary legal project management tool, to plan and budget for litigation matters.
Ellen is the office vice-chair of the firm’s women’s initiative, Spotlight on Women.
While attending law school, Ellen served as a judicial extern for Judge S. Arthur Spiegel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Select Trial and Appellate Victories:
- Obtained summary judgment for property owner against neighboring property owner who alleged breach of a real estate purchase contract and counterclaims for unpaid common area maintenance fees; judgments affirmed by Ohio First District Court of Appeals.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for utility provider in claim by landowner relating to construction of utility lines and removal of trees.
- Obtained complete defense judgment for commercial real estate brokerage firm in claim by former employee for alleged unpaid commissions; judgment affirmed by Ohio First District Court of Appeals.
Examples of Favorable Resolutions:
- Obtained summary judgment for geotechnical engineering firm on errors and omissions claim related to construction of a hospital.
- Obtained summary judgment for an automobile manufacturer in Ohio state court against a claimed design defect based on injuries sustained when a liftgate assembly fell on an individual.
- Obtained favorable decision in AAA arbitration on behalf of manufacturer against insurer regarding insurance coverage for product liability lawsuits.
- Assisted in the defense of alleged breach of turn back provisions of a commercial lease.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of public company in securities and shareholder dispute.
Other Representative Matters:
- Representation of commercial property owners in lease disputes.
- Representation of manufacturer of food flavoring products in defense of toxic tort personal injury claims.
- Representation of automobile manufacturer in defense of product liability claims.
- “Yes, That Really Happened: (UnProfessional) Conduct and Women in the Law,” Thompson Hine, LLP Labor and Employment and Professional Conduct Seminar (December 2018)
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution Provisions in Commercial Contracts,” Association of Corporate Counsel Just in Time CLE (2016)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2019
- Dean Dennis A. Dooley Award, Boston College Law School, 2013 (Awarded for achieving the second-highest grade point average of the graduating class.)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Women's Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Music Resource Center, board member, 2015 - present
- Attitude (Cincinnati Ballet Young Professional Board), board member, 2015 - 2017
December 05, 2018
December 05, 2018