Ellen M. Maniaci
Ellen is an associate in the firm’s Business Litigation group with first and second chair trial experience and has practiced in state and federal courts in Ohio and throughout the country. She has a wide range of experience in a variety of areas including commercial contract disputes, business torts, shareholder litigation, insurance recovery, construction, real estate/land use litigation, and product liability. Ellen handles all aspects of litigation, including case assessment and preparation of pleadings, all phases of discovery, managing complex document collections, reviews, and productions, taking and defending fact and expert witness depositions, preparing and arguing dispositive motions, all aspects of trial, and negotiating and preparing settlement agreements. She also has successfully represented clients in mediations and arbitrations. Ellen utilizes SmartPaTH, the firm’s proprietary legal project management tool, to plan and budget for litigation matters.
Ellen is a leader in the firm’s Spotlight on Women program.
While attending law school, Ellen served as a judicial extern for Judge S. Arthur Spiegel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Select Trial and Appellate Victories:
- Obtained complete defense verdict for utility provider in claim by landowner relating to construction of utility lines and removal of trees.
- Obtained complete defense judgment for commercial real estate brokerage firm in claim by former employee for alleged unpaid commissions; judgment affirmed by Ohio First District Court of Appeals.
Examples of Favorable Resolutions:
- Obtained summary judgment for property owner against neighboring property owner who alleged breach of a real estate purchase contract and counterclaims for unpaid common area maintenance fees.
- Obtained summary judgment for geotechnical engineering firm on errors and omissions claim related to construction of a hospital.
- Obtained favorable decision in AAA arbitration on behalf of manufacturer against insurer regarding insurance coverage for product liability lawsuits.
- Assisted in the defense of alleged breach of turn back provisions of a commercial lease.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of public company in securities and shareholder dispute.
Other Representative Matters:
- Representation of commercial property managers in landlord/tenant disputes.
- Representation of manufacturer of food flavoring products in defense of toxic tort personal injury claims.
- Representation of automobile manufacturer in defense of product liability claims.
- Comment, “Gating the Gatekeeper: Tamraz v. Lincoln Electric Co. and the Expansion of Daubert Reviewing Authority,” 53 B.C.L. Rev. E. Supp. 195 (2012)
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution Provisions in Commercial Contracts,” Association of Corporate Counsel Just in Time CLE (2016)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Women's Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Music Resource Center, board member, 2015 - present
- Attitude (Cincinnati Ballet Young Professional Board), board member, 2015 - 2017