Benjamin B. McKelvey
Benjamin is an associate in the firm’s Construction practice group, focusing his practice on all aspects of construction litigation and dispute resolution. His experience includes contract disputes as well as defective workmanship and design claims. Benjamin’s construction practice extends to contractors involved in government claims at the state and federal administrative levels.
In addition to advocating on behalf of clients involved in disputes, Benjamin has developed experience in transactional matters related to construction and real estate. His transactional experience includes large due diligence projects and lease agreements involving interests in real property.
Benjamin also has knowledge of technical and regulatory issues involving Bitcoin and is a member of the firm’s Cryptocurrency practice.
Benjamin is admitted to practice in Ohio.
- Defending a major midstream natural gas corporation in a pipeline construction dispute.
- Assisting a global NGO with appeals to federal funding determinations related to reconstruction projects in Afghanistan.
- Defending a major construction design and engineering company against defective design claims.
- Defending a construction contractor against allegations of defective concrete installed for a residential subdevelopment project.
- Performing due diligence on the real estate holdings of a multinational corporation during refinancing.
- “Ohio Supreme Court Holds 10-Year Construction Statute of Repose Includes Breach of Contract Claims,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, July 2019
- “California and Maryland General Contractors Liable for Subcontractors’ Wage and Hour Violations,” Thompson Hine Update, June 2018
- “New OSHA Regulations on Construction Exposure to Crystalline Silica,” Thompson Hine Construction and Labor & Employment Update, August 2017
- “Infrastructure Priorities Under the Trump Administration,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, February 2017
- “Pennsylvania Supreme Court Holding Highlights Variations in Prompt Payment Law,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, November 2016
- “Ohio Court Upholds Unenforceability of Public School Construction “Contract”,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, May 2016
- Co-author, “FinCen further clarifies the regulation of digital currencies,” E-Finance & Payments Law & Policy, November 2014
- Author, “Due Process Rights and the Targeted Killing of Suspected Terrorists: The Unconstitutional Scope of Executive Killing Power,” 44 Vand. J. Transnat’l L. 1353, 2011
- Named in Legal 500 United States (Construction), 2019
- Advisory Committee, Cleveland Chamber Fest