White Collar Criminal Practice/Internal Investigations
Corporate executive facing federal corruption charges
Won acquittal for charges of conspiracy to commit bribery in a federal program, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit honest services fraud (only defendant acquitted among more than 60+ politicians and public officials charged).
Amish beard cutting convictions reversed at Court of Appeals
Represented members of the Amish community in winning a reversal at the Court of Appeals for their convictions under the Hate Crimes Prevention Action, which was the first case brought under the statute for religiously-motivated violence.
Multinational FCPA investigation
Represented telecommunications company before the DOJ and SEC in connection with alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations in Africa and Southeast Asia.
Executive alleged to have led foreign bribery program
Defended Taiwanese national against possible FCPA violations relating to Asian banking industry investigation by the DOJ and SEC.
Global anti-corruption due diligence investigation
Represented subsidiary of a publicly-traded, multinational company in anti-corruption due diligence investigation relating to the acquisition of a company with operations in more than 70 countries, including Africa, Asia, Russia, and South America.
Possible FCPA violations in banking industry
Represented foreign national and investment bank executive in connection with possible Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations in China.
Anti-corruption diligence for acquisition of water treatment product
Represented private equity fund in conducting diligence relating to acquisition of water treatment company with sales in South and Central America and Russia.
Alleged bribery in construction industry
Represented company in an internal investigation into possible anti-corruption violations in connection with the construction of a public works project.
Antitrust cartel investigation
Represented multinational chemical manufacturer in price-fixing cartel investigation led by the Department of Justice.
Foreign executive in price-fixing investigation
Defended foreign national in worldwide price-fixing investigation of the shipping industry involving the DOJ, Japan Fair Trade Commission, and European Commission.
Executive charged with federal extortion and corruption crimes
Defended corporate executive charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud, theft of government property, and extortion in nine-day federal trial.
Company scientist charged with trade secret theft
Defended scientist alleged to have been engaged in economic espionage on behalf of a foreign power and stolen trade secrets from his employer.
Bank investigation into alleged kickback payments
Representation of a financial institution in an internal investigation of alleged kickbacks paid to politicians and public officials in connection with the sale of securities to public pension funds.
Possible insider trading prior to privatization
Investigated possible insider trading scheme by executive of a publicly-traded company prior to a privatization deal from a private equity fund.
Bank investigation of possible 10b-5 violations
Represented financial institution in internal investigation regarding allegations of false statements made in connection with the sale of securities.
Possible false statements by a broker-dealer
Represented broker-dealer in FINRA investigation and enforcement proceedings alleging false statements made in connection with the sale of securities.
Compliance, Risk Management, and Counseling
United States & European Union antitrust compliance
Counseled multinational manufacturers on the application of and compliance with U.S. and EU antitrust law, particularly relating to distributorships, distribution agreements, and vertical restraints.
Compliance program assessment and review
Represented multinational, publicly-traded energy company in anti-corruption risk assessment and revision to FCPA and related anti-corruption policies, procedures, and controls.
AML compliance assessment
Represented global jewelry retailer in review and assessment of its anti-money laundering compliance program.
Anti-corruption and antitrust compliance training
Designed and presented training programs for various global companies relating to international antitrust and anti-bribery and corruption compliance.
Possible manufacturing collaboration with competitor
Represented Tier 1 automotive supplier regarding antitrust implications of a strategic alliance with a competitive supplier in the creation and manufacture of automotive parts.
Creation of compliant product distribution network
Represented international building products manufacturer on the creation and maintenance of a North American product distribution network.
Civil Antitrust and Competition Litigation
Civil Investigative Demand merger challenge
Represented global services firm in responding to a Civil Investigative Demand from the Federal Trade Commission relating to a merger challenge.
Merger challenge from the Department of Justice
Represented manufacturer of aviation fuel filtration systems in connection with merger challenge and Civil Investigative Demand from the Department of Justice.
Second Requests from U.S. and Canadian authorities
Represented manufacturer of offshore drilling equipment in response to Second Request from Department of Justice and Canadian Competition Bureau.
Corporate executive as defendant in antitrust litigation
Won dismissal of multimillion-dollar antitrust litigation against corporate executive alleged to be ringleader of antitrust conspiracy.
RICO litigation involving government procurement
Represented company alleged to have participated in a RICO conspiracy to defraud government purchasers.
Trade secret theft by former employee
Represented company in civil litigation against its former employee for breach of duty of loyalty and theft of trade secrets in federal jury trial, winning verdict.
Unfair competition by competitor
Won punitive damage aware against competitor of client for tortiously interfering with the client’s employees.
Willfully infringing on copyrights
Won willful damage jury award on behalf of global media licensing company for willful infringement of its copyrights.
Injunction against the Food and Drug Administration
Obtained restraining order preventing the FDA from blocking the importation of electronic cigarettes, ruling upheld on appeal.
- “FTC Investigating Price Discrimination Under Long-Dormant Robinson-Patman Act,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, January 2023
- Co-author, “No-Poach Plea Hiccups Point To DOJ’s Unsound Theory,” Law360, October 2022
- “No-Poach Provision Found Unenforceable by Pennsylvania Supreme Court,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, May 2021
- “Selling Through Dealers – Antitrust Guidelines for Manufacturers,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Guidelines, April 2021
- “Supreme Court Rules FTC Cannot Obtain Equitable Monetary Relief Directly in Court,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, April 2021
- “Practical Advice for Antitrust and Privacy Compliance in the Biden Era,” Thompson Hine Webinar, March 2021
- “Current State of Affairs in No-Poach Enforcement: Is Criminal No-Poach Prosecution Finally on the Horizon?” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2021
- “Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 2020
- “Supply Chain Disruptions Bring Compliance Risks to the Forefront,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “As More Employees Work Remotely, Protecting Trade Secrets Must Remain ‘Essential Business,’” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Insider Trading Compliance During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Novel COVID-19 Virus, Commercial Contracts and Force Majeure,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, March 2020
- “U.S. Alleges Huawei Involved in Long-Running Scheme to Steal Trade Secrets,” Thompson Hine White Collar Update, February 2020
- “U.S. Probes Scientists and Academics with Overseas Ties, Targets Trade Secret Transfers,” Thompson Hine White Collar Update, January 2020
- Co-author, “DOJ Steps Up Antitrust Enforcement,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, January 18, 2020
- “Antitrust Agencies Release New Vertical Merger Guidelines,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, January 2020
- Co-author, “Justice Department Emphasizes Antitrust Enforcement Through Creation of Multi-Agency and Bid-Rigging Strike Force,” Thompson Hine Antitrust & Government Contracts Update, November 2019
- Co-author, Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Franchising, American Bar Association (4th ed.)
- “The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Consequences for Trade Secret Litigation,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, July 2014
- “Court Clarifies Foreign Government ‘Instrumentality’ Under FCPA,” Thompson Hine FCPA/Antibribery Update, May 21, 2014
- “Supreme Court Clarifies False Advertising Standing,” Thompson Hine Unfair Competition Update, April 2014
- Editor, Antitrust Discovery Handbook, American Bar Association (3d ed. 2013)
- “Conquer Modern Coconspirator Declarations,” For The Defense, January 2013
- “Seeking a Downward Departure for Small Business Impact,” For The Defense, July 2011
- Author/editor, Antitrust Law Development (Sixth), 2010 Annual Review, American Bar Association, 2011
- Co-author, “Antitrust Conspiracies in Franchise Systems After American Needle,” Franchise Law Journal, 2011
- Contributing author, Business Torts: A Fifty State Guide, Aspen Publishing, 2007 to 2020
- Contributor, Antitrust Handbook for Franchise and Distribution Practitioners, American Bar Association, 2008
- Contributor, Antitrust Law and Economics of Product Distribution, American Bar Association, 2006
- Co-presenter, “Hot Topics in Antitrust,” Thompson Hine Competition Cafe Podcast Series, May 2022
- Co-presenter, “Presidential Executive Order Targets Changes in Antitrust Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Competition Cafe Podcast Series, April 2022
- Co-presenter, “White Collar Crime – Recent Developments and Emerging Risks Part II,” Thompson Hine Webinar Series, March 2021
- Co-presenter, “White Collar Crime – Recent Developments and Emerging Risks Part I,” Thompson Hine Webinar Series, February 2021
- Co-presenter, “Practical Advice for Antitrust and Privacy Compliance in the Biden Era,” Thompson Hine Webinar Series, March 2021
- Co-presenter, “Mitigating Supply Agreement Risks: Structuring Defense, Indemnity, and Insurance Provisions, Allocating Liability Between Manufacturers, Suppliers, and End Sellers; Maximizing Insurance Coverage for Losses,” Strafford Webinar, February 16, 2021
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2014 to 2023 for Commercial Litigation and Litigtaion-Antitrust
- Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Litigation Hot List, 2019 to 2020
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2023
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list, 2013 to 2019
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, Antitrust Section Council, 2011 to 2014
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Secretary, Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Board of Trustees
- Sixth Circuit Criminal Justice Act appointment
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2005, cum laude
- Indiana University, B.S., 2002
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- FTC Investigating Price Discrimination Under Long-Dormant Robinson-Patman Act,
Antitrust Law Update, January 18, 2023
- DOJ Set to Obtain First Antitrust Conviction in “No-Poach” Case,
Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 6, 2022
- No-Poach Provision Found Unenforceable by Pennsylvania Supreme Court,
Antitrust Law Update, May 3, 2021
- Selling Through Dealers – Antitrust Guidelines for Manufacturers,
Antitrust Law Guidelines, April 30, 2021
- Supreme Court Rules FTC Cannot Obtain Equitable Monetary Relief Directly in Court,
Antitrust Law Update, April 23, 2021
- Business Law Update – Winter 2021,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, January 14, 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Thompson Hine’s Litigation and Labor & Employment Practices and 24 Firm Litigators,
Thompson Hine LLP, December 1, 2020
- Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade,
Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 9, 2020
- FCPA Flash Podcast – A Conversation With Joan Meyer And Matthew Ridings About Privilege Issues In Internal Investigations, May 18, 2020
- Supply Chain Disruptions Bring Compliance Risks to the Forefront,
COVID-19 Update, April 30, 2020