Tenechia D. Lockhart
Tenechia is an associate in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice group. She focuses her practice on employee benefits and ERISA litigation matters.
Tenechia’s experience includes drafting, revising and restating standard plan documents such as trust agreements; pension plan documents; summary plan descriptions; and expense and reimbursement, collection and qualified domestic relations order policies. She counsels pension and welfare benefit plans on all aspects relevant to ERISA compliance and has represented pension plans in suits alleging violations of ERISA and actions to collect funds owed to the plans due to a contractor’s delinquency or withdrawal from the plan.
Tenechia has also represented apprenticeship welfare benefit plans in EEOC and Ohio Civil Rights Commission investigations and in actions alleging claims of discrimination, wrongful discharge and/or violations of FMLA. She has counseled apprenticeship welfare plans on affirmative action regulations and conducted sexual harassment training for apprenticeship welfare plan key players. In addition, Tenechia has appeared before AAA arbitrators in proceedings to collect funds owed to apprenticeship welfare benefit plans and confirmed favorable arbitration awards in state court.
After law school, Tenechia served as a staff attorney to Judge John Andrew West (retired) and Judge Tom Heekin of the Hamilton County Common Pleas Court. In this role she conducted legal research and drafted the court’s orders, memoranda, jury instructions and bench briefs. Tenechia also coordinated hearings, jury trials and case management conferences and communicated directly with attorneys and pro se litigants.
- “ERISA Update: Apprenticeship, Health & Welfare and Pension Funds,” Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio, September 2019
- “Collection Basics for Multiemployer Fringe Benefit Funds,” Mechanical Contractors Association of Greater Cincinnati, March 2019
- Commencement Address, Miami University Horizon Graduation, May 2017
- Commencement Address, Miami University Horizon Graduation, May 2013
- Black Lawyers Association of Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Cincinnati Bar Association, member, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Black Lawyers Association of Cincinnati, recording secretary (2019-2020); chair, Law School Committee (2016-2018)