Art is a Partner in the firm's Intellectual Property practice group. He has spent his career resolving complex intellectual property matters for clients that range from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Whether enforcing a client’s intellectual property rights, negotiating an intellectual property related agreement or defending a client against claims that they are violating another’s intellectual property rights, Art focuses on helping clients achieve their business and legal goals in a cost effective manner that is most appropriate for them. He has led teams in patent, trademark and trade secret litigation matters, appearing in U.S. District Courts in Ohio and throughout the country, including the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California, the Eastern District of Texas, and the District of Delaware. He also has considerable experience working on matters before the International Trade Commission.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Art served as general counsel for a global provider of medical imaging software, where he oversaw all of the company's legal matters. His responsibilities included managing the company's trademark and patent portfolios, assisting in the development and enforcement of its intellectual property rights, and creating company policies and procedures relating to intellectual property issues. Before that, Art was Of Counsel at a global law firm that was originally headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio.
Art's experience encompasses matters primarily concerning electrical, mechanical and computer-related technologies, including liquid crystal displays, light emitting diodes, semiconductor circuitry and packaging, semiconductor manufacturing, computer networking, wireless communications, software, internet systems and protocols, error correction algorithms, encryption, consumer electronics, optics, sensors, oil and gas exploration equipment, automotive parts and systems, control systems, window systems, and chemical and plastics manufacturing.
- "New, Lower Cost Methods of Patent Challenges: Challenging a Patent Before the PTAB – Patent Review Actions to Knock Out a Competitor’s Patent" – Columbus, Ohio, 2014
- "Litigating Trade Secret Claims in Ohio," Cleveland, Ohio, 2006
- "The Seven W's of Due Diligence," 3rd Annual Science, Business and Technology Conference, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 1997
- Saul F. Lefkovitz Appellate Trademark Competition (Syracuse University College of Law); east regional – first place, best brief, best oralist team; national finalist; brief – eighth place nationally
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Notre Dame Lawyers Alumni Committee, executive board member
- The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, legal clinic volunteer attorney
- Ohio High School Mock Trial Competition, volunteer judicial panelist
- Cleveland Municipal Court/Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, volunteer judicial panelist
Thompson Hine Elects Eight New PartnersThompson Hine LLP
December 29, 2015