Examples of Josh’s experience include:
- Representing an LSE-listed medical device company in its $4.2 billion takeover by a leading global medical technology company, which was cleared by the FTC and other international regulators after the negotiation of a global remedy.
- Representing a global private equity firm in its $3.4 billion acquisition of the methacrylates business of one of the largest specialty chemicals companies in the world.
- Representing an NYSE-listed global industrial packaging company in connection with its $1.8 billion acquisition of a recycled paperboard and packaging solutions company.
- Representing a global health care company in connection with its $4.3 billion agreement to acquire a manufacturer of prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceutical products.
- Representing an NYSE-listed global IT services provider in its $14 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction involving a multinational enterprise information technology company’s global enterprise services segment and a global provider of information technology services and professional services.
- Representing a U.K.-based private equity and venture capital firm in its $385 million acquisition of a U.S.-based concessionaire of airport services.
- Representing an SET-listed global chemical producer in connection with its $314 million acquisition of a manufacturer and supplier of nonwoven hygiene fabrics.
- Representing a global infrastructure fund manager in its $220 million acquisition of an owner and operator of toll bridges and tunnels.
- Representing an ASX-listed manufacturing company in its takeover by a Japan-based construction equipment company.
- Representing a Dutch telecommunications company in the sale of a wholly owned U.S. subsidiary to a global provider of communications solutions.
- Representing a global health service company in its $54 billion merger with a managed health care company.
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company in its $5.4 billion acquisition of an animal health company.
- Representing a commercial airline in its slot transaction with another commercial airline.
- Representing a multinational pharmaceutical corporation in its $68 billion acquisition of another global pharmaceutical company.
- Representing a Thailand-based producer of seafood products and a U.S.-based provider of packaged seafood in a class action litigation involving price fixing in the packaged tuna industry.
- Representing a UK-based banking and financial services company in multidistrict class action litigation alleging violations of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.
- Representing a European banking group in multidistrict class action litigation alleging antitrust violations in the municipal derivatives industry.
- Representing the largest U.S. dairy in arbitration involving claims alleging manipulation of the spot cheese market and milk futures contracts.
- Representing a U.S. brewing company in a confidential arbitration involving breach of contract and theft of trade secret claims.
- “Antitrust and ESG Make Strange Bedfellows,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2022
- “Is the Biden Administration Taking Antitrust Enforcement Back to the Future?” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2022
- Co-Author, “Giving Effect to the Remedy,” Global Competition Review’s Merger Remedies Guide (4th Edition), November 2021
- “Selling Through Dealers – Antitrust Guidelines for Manufacturers,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Guidelines, April 2021
- Co-author, “Proposed Amendment to HSR Rules Would Increase Filing Obligations for Private Equity Funds,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2021
- Co-author, “Antitrust Agencies Suspend Early Termination – Temporary or Indefinite?” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, February 2021
- Co-author, “HSR Filing Thresholds Decrease in 2021,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, February 2021
- Co-author, “Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 2020
- Co-author, “Beware Antitrust Risks in Syndicated Lending, ”Law360.com, March 2017
- Co-presenter, “Hot Topics in Antitrust,” Thompson Hine Competition Cafe Podcast Series, May 2022
- Co-presenter, “Presidential Executive Order Targets Changes in Antitrust Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Competition Cafe Podcast Series, April 2022
- Co-presenter, “Considerations for Cross-Border M&A: Canada, the UK & the US Trends in Antitrust & National Security Merger Review,” Thompson Hine Webinar, February 2021
- Selected to WWL’s Competition Future Leaders – Partners 2022
- Included on New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, 2015-2017
- Listed in Euromoney’s Competition and Antitrust Expert Guide, 2021
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section; Vice Chair, U.S. Comments and Policy Committee
- New York City Bar Association, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Committee (2016-2019)
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2006,
with high honors; executive managing editor, Emory Law Journal
- Amherst College, B.A., 2001, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Business Law Update – Summer 2022,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, September 8, 2022
- Antitrust and ESG Make Strange Bedfellows,
Business Law Update – Summer 2022, September 7, 2022
- Expert Q&A on Antitrust Issues with ESG Collaborations,
Thomson Rueters, May 13, 2022
- Business Law Update – Winter 2022,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, March 7, 2022
- FTC Announces Increases to HSR Filing Thresholds for 2022,
Antitrust Law Update, January 24, 2022
- Thompson Hine Advises Emmi Roth USA on Athenos Acquisition,
Thompson Hine LLP, December 6, 2021
- Thompson Hine Attorneys Joshua L. Shapiro and Mark R. Butscha, Jr. Author Chapter in Global Competition Review’s Merger Remedies Guide,
Thompson Hine LLP, November 11, 2021
- FTC Adjusts Merger Review Due to “Tidal Wave” in Merger Filings,
Antitrust Update, August 4, 2021
- Selling Through Dealers – Antitrust Guidelines for Manufacturers,
Antitrust Law Guidelines, April 30, 2021
- Business Law Update – Spring 2021,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, March 23, 2021