Examples of John’s experience include:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a managed IT services company in its sale of a controlling interest to a private equity firm.
- Represented an accounting cloud provider in its sale of assets to a private equity-owned competitor.
- Represented a Brazilian digital technology company in its acquisition of a U.S. design agency.
- Represented a B2B service center software company in its merger with a B2C repair network solution.
- Represented a document management company in its sale of a SaaS product critical to the operations of a Fortune 100 insurance company.
- Co-represented a multiple listing service (MLS) solutions company in its sale of assets to a NASDAQ-listed online real estate company.
- Represented numerous investors and companies in shareholder buyouts, strategic acquisitions, recapitalizations and reorganizations.
Venture Capital & Other Financings
- Represented a P2P platform in its Series A financing and convertible debt financings with a public company.
- Represented a supply chain software company in convertible debt financing and Series Seed financings of over $5 million.
- Represented a semiconductor technology company in multiple rounds of preferred stock financings in aggregate excess of $25 million.
- Represented a SaaS loyalty rewards company in its Series A and B financings with leading venture funds.
- Represented an online meeting platform in multiple rounds of equity financing in excess of $8 million.
- Represented an equipment leasing company and its subsidiaries in a debt offering with warrants.
- Represented numerous clients in convertible note, SAFE and venture debt transactions.
Technology & Commercial Agreements
- Negotiate and draft licensing agreements for emerging technology transactions with Fortune 500 businesses.
- Streamline client business processes and sales cycles by delivering improved SaaS agreements, software license agreements, end-user terms, support policies, professional services agreements, reseller agreements, partner agreements, independent representative agreements and referral agreements.
- Structure and negotiate joint ventures, strategic partnerships and white label agreements.
- Advise product companies on manufacturing agreements, retail and wholesale contracts, intellectual property registrations and disputes, and licensing transactions.
- Contributor, “In with the In Crowd? The Entrepreneurs’ Guide to Crowdfunding,” Forbes.com (2015)
- Speaker, “CCPA: What you Need to Know,” Interact Law Bi-Annual Meeting (2019)
- Speaker, “Business Sale Preparation,” Exit Planning Institute webinar (2019)
- Speaker, “Starting Your Own Business,” continuing education seminar (2018–2019)
- Speaker, “Preparing for a Funding Transaction,” Launchpad 2x Workshop (2018–2019)
- Panelist, “Doing Business under New Privacy Laws,” Interact Law Meeting (2018)
- Speaker, “The Name of Their Company is What?! Strategies for Dealing with Trademark Infringement,” NAMWOLF Annual Meeting (2017)
- Guest, various radio shows and podcasts, including The Dana Barrett Show, 640AM WGST, and Spotlight Business Leader, Gwinnett Business Radio (2015–2019)
- Panelist, “How to Start Up in Atlanta,” The Founder Institute (2015)
- Southern Capital Forum, member
- The Founder Institute, former mentor
- The Hub, former mentor
- Aimee Copeland Foundation, former board member
- Atlanta Gamecock Club, former board member
- LifeLine Animal Project, past pro bono legal representation
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2006,
Southeastern Environmental Law Journal
- University of South Carolina, M.B.A., 2006
- University of South Carolina, B.S., 2002, cum laude
- South Carolina
- Thompson Hine Bolsters Corporate Practice with the Addition of John Monahon in Atlanta,
Thompson Hine LLP, September 2, 2020