Sara advises businesses on all aspects of the employment relationship, including leave, pay methods and classifications, hiring and layoff, and protection of key relationships. She also drafts employment agreements, arbitration policies, and handbooks.
When necessary, Sara represents employers before the DOL and EEOC as well as in litigation in state and federal courts. Known for her thorough pursuit of facts and legal arguments, she has obtained successful outcomes in cases involving the FLSA, non-compete agreements, Title VII, and related state statutes.
Sara is experienced in labor-management relations, having previously represented the largest employer of Teamsters labor nationwide and prepared white papers on labor issues for a national trade organization. She advises clients on union avoidance, during and after union election campaigns, and when administering CBAs. She has obtained favorable outcomes for clients before the NLRB and has particular experience with Section 301 of the LMRA.
In 2017 and 2018, Sara was the youngest lawyer selected by class year to the list of Rising Stars in Employment & Labor by Georgia Super Lawyers®, an honor given to less than 2.5 percent of lawyers nominated by peers and selected through independent research.
In law school, Sara clerked at the Atlanta District Office of the EEOC, the DOL’s Office of the Solicitor, and for Chief Justice Carol W. Hunstein of the Supreme Court of Georgia. In addition, she was a member of the Emory Law Journal editorial board.
Examples of Sara’s experience include:
- Obtained full judgment on the merits for a Korean media company after the same court denied summary judgment to the co-defendant on substantially similar facts.
- In lieu of an opposition brief, obtained opposing counsel’s voluntary dismissal of discrimination lawsuit with prejudice after filing a pre-discovery dispositive motion under Rule12(c).
- Obtained plaintiff’s voluntary, no-settlement dismissal of a high-exposure discrimination lawsuit after uncovering evidence of plaintiff’s fraud in an unrelated legal matter.
- In union organizing elections, helped secure a management win or withdrawal of the petition for clients in the entertainment and retail industries.
- In two restrictive covenant lawsuits representing nine defendants, obtained plaintiffs’ voluntary, no-money, no-restriction settlement after developing and asserting counterclaims.
- Obtained a favorable outcome in an FLSA lawsuit after developing and asserting legal arguments under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.
- Co-author, “The NLRB Recusal Standard: How Will Hy-Brand, The Inspector General, and a Federal Regulation Affect Employees and Employers?,” American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law, Vol. 46, No. 4, Summer 2018
- Co-author, “Epic Decision Allowing Class Action Waivers May Have Broad Implications,” Westlaw Journal Employment, July 3, 2018
- Co-author, “What ABA’s Position On Harassment Means For Employers,” Law360, May 7, 2018
- Co-author, “The New Frontier of E-Communications: How to Request & Produce Mobile Chat Data,” The Atlanta Lawyer, May 2015
- Co-author, “The New Frontier of E-Communications: Why You Should Care About Mobile Device Chats,” The Atlanta Lawyer, March 2015
- Co-author, “Avoiding Joint Employment Liability: The Control Factor,” InsideCounsel, February 27, 2015
- Co-author, “The Joint Employment Arrangement: How Changes in the Law Affect Franchisor/Franchisee and Contractor Relationships,” InsideCounsel, December 30, 2014
- “#MeToo – Why Now and What It Means for Lawyers as Counselors and as Professionals,” 26th Annual International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL) Conference, 2018
- Listed as a Rising Star by Georgia Super Lawyers®, 2017-2019
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence for the Study of Labor and Employment Law, American Bar Association, 2012
- Dean’s Award in Employment Discrimination, Emory University School of Law, 2012
- Founding board member, vice president, former secretary, Korean American Bar Association of Georgia (KABA-GA), 2012-present
- Board member, Public Service Committee co-chair, former Programming Committee co-chair, Georgia Asian Pacific American Bar Association (GAPABA), 2015-present
- Host Committee, 26th Annual International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL) Conference, 2017-2018
- Board member, president, Atlantic 17th Condominium Association, Inc. (Twelve Atlantic Station), 2017-present
- Former board member, Asian American Legal Advocacy Center (now AAAJ-Atlanta), 2012-2014
- Former board member, vice president, Southeast U.S. Korean Chamber of Commerce (SEUSKCC), 2015-2017
- Former board member, Center for Pan Asian Community Services (CPACS), 2015-2017