Jim is senior counsel in the firm’s Business Litigation practice area. He focuses on disputes involving the Uniform Commercial Code, employer intentional tort, employment disputes, product liability, intellectual property and general commercial litigation.
Jim rejoined the firm in 2021 after serving as Speaker Pro Tempore of the Ohio House of Representatives. Prior to his service as Speaker Pro Tempore, he served as chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and Civil Justice Committee. During his nearly 10 years serving as an Ohio state representative, Jim also served as vice chairman of the Rules Committee and as a member of the House Criminal Justice Committee, Health Committee, Education Committee and Finance Committee.
An Ohio native, Jim grew up in Washington Court House. Upon graduation from high school, he was accepted into the United States Naval Academy. He graduated in the top 10% of his class, earning him a spot in flight school. While waiting to begin training as a naval aviator, he obtained a master’s degree in history from the University of Maryland. After completing flight school and receiving his wings, Jim was accorded the privilege of flying the F-14 Tomcat fighter.
Jim returned to Ohio after leaving the military. Following his graduation from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, he began his work at Thompson Hine.
Jim’s desire to serve is also reflected in his volunteer work within the Dayton community. He is a member of Oakwood Rotary and a volunteer for the Greater Dayton Volunteer Lawyer Project, a complementary agency to Legal Aid of Western Ohio. He is the former president of the Dayton Ballet Associate Board, which works to support the Dayton Ballet.
Jim and his wife, Dr. Melissa Butler, reside in Oakwood with their three daughters.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 to 2022 for Commercial Litigation
- Lawyer-Legislator Distinguished Service Award, Ohio State Bar Association, 2019
- Legislative Champion Award, Ohio Jewish Communities, 2019
- Dayton Business Journal Veterans of Influence award honoree, 2017
- Dayton Business Journal 40 Under 40, 2011
- District Community Service Award for Attorneys 40 and Under, Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2010
- Selected as an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014
- Dayton Bar Association, Young Lawyer Division, chairman, Community Service Committee, 2006-2007
- Representative, Ohio House of Representatives, District 41, 2011-2020
- Dayton Ballet Associate Board, president, 2008-2011
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, board member, Strategic Planning Committee, 2007-2012
- Rotary, City of Oakwood
- Volunteer Lawyers Project