Jim is Counsel in the firm's Business and Product Liability Litigation practice areas. He focuses his practice on disputes involving the Uniform Commercial Code, employer intentional tort, employment disputes, product liability, intellectual property and general commercial litigation.
Jim is also currently serving his third elected term as a member of the Ohio House of Representatives. He represents the 41st House District in Montgomery County (Centerville, Kettering, Oakwood and portions of Riverside and Dayton). He is the Chairman of the House Civil Justice Committee and also serves on the House Criminal Justice Committee, Health Committee, Education Committee, and Finance Committee.
An Ohio native, Jim grew up in Washington Court House, Ohio. Upon graduation from high school, he was accepted into the United States Naval Academy. He graduated in the top 10% of his class, earning him a spot in flight school. While waiting to begin training as a naval aviator, he obtained a Master's Degree in History from the University of Maryland. After completing flight school and receiving his wings, Jim was accorded the privilege of flying the F-14 Tomcat fighter.
Jim returned to Ohio after leaving the military. Following his graduation from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, he began his work at Thompson Hine.
Jim's desire to serve is also reflected in his volunteer work within the Dayton community. He is a member of Oakwood Rotary and he volunteers for the Greater Dayton Volunteer Lawyer Project, a complementary agency to Legal Aid of Western Ohio. He is the former President of the Dayton Ballet Associate Board, which works to support the Dayton Ballet.
Jim and his wife, Dr. Melissa Butler, reside in Oakwood with their three daughters.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2019
- Dayton Business Journal Veterans of Influence award honoree, 2017
- Dayton Business Journal 40 Under 40, 2011
- District Community Service Award for Attorney's 40 and Under, Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2010
- Selected as an Ohio Super Lawyer Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014
- Representative, Ohio State House District 41
- Dayton Ballet, Associate Board, president 2008 to 2011
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, board member, Strategic Planning Committee, 2007 to 2012
- Rotary, City of Oakwood
- Volunteer Lawyers Project