Examples of Brandon’s experience include:
Class Action Litigation
- Obtained dismissal of nationwide TCPA class action for lack of personal jurisdiction and improper venue.
- Obtained dismissal of nationwide class action case as well as Rule 11 sanctions against a serial litigant who asserted a claim involving an alleged improperly charged convenience fee.
- Obtained dismissal of class action lawsuit alleging a theory that would result in liability to nearly any collections law firm or creditor that filed any collections lawsuits in Cook County, Illinois.
- Obtained grant of summary judgment to collection agency in nationwide class action lawsuit alleging a misrepresentation of affiliation with a national credit bureau.
Fair Credit Reporting Act Litigation
- Successfully defended appeals brought by individual consumers against credit bureaus in the Sixth and Eighth Circuit Courts of Appeals.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit filed against background screening agency alleging negligence in preparing a background check.
- Represented nationwide Consumer Reporting Agency in high value FCRA claims in federal courts all throughout the country.
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Litigation
- Successfully defended damages trial that resulted in a verdict of only $500 to the plaintiff.
- Obtained significant victory on attorneys’ fee petition by the plaintiff’s counsel in the above-referenced trial by convincing the court to reduce the claimed attorneys’ fees by 89%.
- Obtained grants of summary judgment in several cases, including consolidated litigation, on behalf of collection agencies involving manufactured FDCPA claims by a consumer law firm.
- Obtained dismissals of federal lawsuits against collection agency in federal court in Indiana and Ohio that involved a theory that the collection agency allegedly misrepresented an affiliation with the respective state governments.
- Obtained grant of summary judgment and discovery sanctions in favor of collection agency involving claim that collection agency was not complying with technical requirements of the FDCPA.
- Obtained grants of summary judgment in favor of collection agencies in several cases involving alleged misrepresentations about the status of debts reported to nationwide credit bureaus.
- Successfully resolved hundreds of FDCPA individual and class action lawsuits.
Other Notable Successes
- Obtained a no probable cause determination in an alleged hiring discrimination claim before the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division – Department of Workforce Development on behalf of a large employer.
- Successfully obtained significant reduction in attorneys’ fees petitions in numerous cases in which liability had been established.
- Assisted with the preparation of an amicus brief filed with the United States Supreme Court in a landmark Article III standing case where in which the court sided with the party the brief was filed in support of in a 5-4 decision authored by Justice Kavanaugh.
- “Eighth Circuit Avoids Intradistrict Split and Evaluates Standing in FDCPA Case,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, March 2022
- “Important Wins on Behalf of Debt Collection Industry,” October 2018
- “Seventh Circuit Provides Some Guidance on the Issue of Article III Standing,” Consumer Financial Services Newsletter, May 2017
- Jewish United Fund Community Legal Services
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2015, cum laude
- University of Kansas, B.G.S., 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit