Steven is a partner in the White Collar Criminal Practice, Internal Investigations & Government Enforcement and Business Litigation practice groups. With significant investigative and trial experience as a federal and state prosecutor, he focuses on internal investigations and white collar criminal and regulatory matters.
Before joining the firm, Steven served as chief of the Special Prosecutions Bureau in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, where he supervised more than 70 prosecutors and investigators handling cases involving racketeering, public corruption, financial crimes, murder and law enforcement misconduct.
Prior to that, he was a federal prosecutor and deputy chief with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois, where he investigated, prosecuted and supervised hundreds of cases involving a wide range of criminal offenses, trying 10 cases to verdict and briefing and arguing nine cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. During his almost 10 years in the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Steven focused primarily on investigating and prosecuting complex corruption cases, including cases involving bribery, embezzlement, structuring, and obstruction of justice. In addition to corruption cases, he investigated and prosecuted financial crimes including mortgage fraud, bankruptcy fraud, tax evasion, insider trading and complex wire and mail fraud schemes, several of these investigations involving parallel civil proceedings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Steven also previously worked in private practice and as a judicial law clerk for the Hon. Mathew F. Kennelly of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Examples of Steven’s experience include:
For the government
- Led the investigation and prosecution of former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives for illegally structuring financial transactions and obstructing justice.
- Investigated, prosecuted and tried a former police officer and 18 others in a racketeering, kidnapping, money laundering and narcotics conspiracy case.
- Led the bribery investigation and prosecution of executive at city contractor involved in privatization of city’s parking meter program.
- Investigated and prosecuted village clerk for wire fraud scheme involving theft of public funds and tax evasion.
- Secured convictions of seven defendants paying or accepting bribes to steer public works contracts for over a decade.
- Secured the conviction of city official for embezzling public funds and tax fraud.
- Investigated and prosecuted owner of Chicago Public Schools’ largest school bus contractor for tax evasion scheme.
- Led prosecution of eight defendants convicted of bank fraud, perjury and other charges arising from massive identity theft scheme.
- Supervised prosecution of first trial in Cook County involving charges brought under state racketeering law.
In private practice
- Represented corporate executive with regard to Department of Justice criminal investigation into bid rigging and price fixing allegations.
- Represented retailer in federal lawsuit suit against manufacturer alleging anticompetitive practices in pricing of goods.
- Conducted internal investigation for audit committee of major reinsurance company regarding alleged accounting irregularities.
- Represented pet food company in recovery of damages in international price-fixing case.
- Defended Italian luxury clothing manufacturer and Canadian distributor in fraud and civil conspiracy suit brought by U.S. distributor.
- Represented publicly traded company in federal trade secret trial against former employee and Chinese competitor.
- Represented publicly traded grocery store chain in arbitration alleging breach of non-compete agreement by former chief executive.
- Successfully argued case of first impression before Illinois Supreme Court on behalf of pro bono client regarding imposition of extended term prison sentence.
- “DOJ Still Pursuing Traders for Spoofing, Despite Thakkar Setback,” Bloomberg Law, September 2019
- Quoted, “How Your Private Illinois Tollway Data Is Shared With Cops And Divorce Lawyers,” WBEX News, September 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “R. Kelly Charges: Singer Faces Two Federal Indictments: Child Porn, Enticement, And Obstruction Charges In Chicago; Sex Trafficking Case In New York,” July 2019
- Quoted, “R. Kelly’s Road Through Criminal Woes Becomes Much Tougher as Feds Join Forces Against Him,” Chicago Tribune, July 2019
- Quoted, “What’s Next For R. Kelly After Latest Child Porn, Obstruction and Racketeering Charges?” Chicago Sun Times, July 2019
- “Spoofing Programmer Mistrial Sparks Questions About Future DOJ Prosecutions," Bloomberg Law, April 2019
- “DOJ Criminally Charges Executives for Failure to Timely Report Under CPSA,” Thompson Hine Government Enforcement/CPSC Update, April 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “Michael Avenatti Arrested on Federal Charges of Wire Fraud and Extortion,” March 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “Jussie Smollett Pleads Not Guilty to Disorderly Conduct Indictment.” March 2019
- CBS News Chicago, “Illinois Supreme Court Denies Bid to Resentence Van Dyke,” March 2019
- CBS News, “”Roger Stone Case Set For Trial,” March 2019
- “DOJ Opioid Warning Letters—Legitimate Law Enforcement Purpose or Prosecutorial Overreach?,” Bloomberg Law, February 2019
- Quoted, “Stone Pleads Not Guilty as Feds Prepare For ‘Complex Case’,” Law 360, February 2019
- Quoted, “Cook County Prosecutors Flooded With Calls About R. Kelly,” Chicago Tribune, January 2019
- CBS News, “Why Was Flynn’s Sentencing Delayed?,” January 2019
- “Economic Crimes Evidence,” National District Attorneys Association, March 2019
- “Discovery Issues for Prosecutors,” National District Attorneys Association, March 2019
- “Following the Money,” National District Attorneys Association, April 2018
- “Discovery Obligations,” National District Attorneys Association, April 2018
- “Investigating and Prosecuting Financial Crimes,” Illinois State’s Attorneys Best Practices Committee, 2017
- “Advanced Forensic Accounting for Prosecutors and Investigators,” U.S. Department of Justice, Sarajevo, Bosnia, 2017
- “Investigating and Prosecuting Corruption Crimes,” U.S. Department of Justice, Sarajevo, Bosnia, 2016
- Drug Enforcement Administration Special Recognition Award
- Chicago Bar Foundation, Maurice Weigle Exceptional Young Lawyer Award
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, Student Funded Public Interest Fellowship Public Service Award
September 27, 2019
April 16, 2019
Law Enforcement Purpose or Prosecutorial Overreach?Bloomberg Law
February 04, 2019
December 18, 2018
December 05, 2018