- Defended a global design firm from multi-million dollar claims involving design of highway bridge.
- Represented a construction manager in federal court litigation involving claims arising out of $300 million new construction hospital project in Columbus, Ohio.
- Defended a general contractor against subcontractor claims on construction projects in Colorado, Illinois, Texas, Florida, Michigan and Ohio.
- Represented a Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise in successfully resolving a multimillion-dollar claim dispute involving the construction of a new baseball stadium.
- Defended a major oil and gas midstream company against Utica Shale pipeline construction claims, which were amicably resolved after 4 weeks of jury trial.
- Served as second-chair trial lawyer defending civil engineer on $3.5 million lawsuit asserting professional negligence on public roadway and sewer replacement project. The matter was amicably resolved in first week of trial.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict as first-chair trial lawyer representing homeowner on negligence claim against uphill neighbor for damages resulting from landslide.
- Represented homeowners as a second-chair trial lawyer in first-party insurance claim against home insurer which denied coverage for landslide damages. After a summary judgment in favor of coverage, a favorable trial verdict on damages was obtained. Trial verdict was successfully defended in Oregon appellate courts. See Chou v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 253 Or App 552, rev denied 353 Or 787 (2013).
- Represented a municipality pursuing $1.2 million in product liability, breach of contract, and negligence claims against general contractor, design engineer and equipment supplier related to the purchase of sludge dehydrator for wastewater treatment plant. Matter was favorably resolved on eve of trial.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against architect client in $6.5 million complex construction defect case.
- Assisted in defense of professional design team on a matter involving reconstruction of $350 million federal highway bridge project due to encountering of ancient landslides. Design team obtained favorable decision from independent Dispute Review Board and matter was amicably resolved.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against engineering client in defense of professional negligence claims related to the design of a major roadway.
- Represented structural engineer in defense of professional negligence claims related to bowstring truss failures. Matter was amicably resolved prior to trial.
- Represented architect in prosecution of claims against contractor for invalid construction liens and construction defects related to construction of client’s personal residence.
- Represented numerous professional design clients in lien foreclosure action to recover unpaid fees.
- Co-author, “Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio,” Practical Law, November 2021
- “Mechanic’s Liens (OH),” Lexis Practice Advisor, August 2021
- Contributing author, “Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio Q&A,” Practical Law (Thompson Reuters), November 2017
- “Trending Exception to the Exclusion: Finding a Subcontractor’s Defect Isn’t ‘Your Work,’” Thompson Hine Construction Update, March 2017
- “Michigan Supreme Court Clarifies Penalties and Underscores Importance of Contractor Licensing,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, June 2016
- “Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio,” Practical Law, February 2016
- “Contingent Payment Provisions and Forum Selection Clauses,” Thompson Hine Construction Industry Hot Topics Seminar, Cleveland, June 2015.
- “Risk Management,” AIA Portland FRED Business of Architecture Series, Portland, OR, October 2014.
- Listed in The Legal 500 in Construction, 2020 to 2022
- Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Lewis & Clark Law School Environmental Leadership Award
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Green Initiative Committee Chair
- Oregon State Bar, Real Estate/Land Use, Environmental, and Construction Law Sections
- Washington State Bar, Construction, Environmental and Land Use Sections
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) – Member, Cleveland Chapter
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) – Regional Board Member, Ohio Chapter
- American Society of Engineers (ASCE) – Member, Former Chair, Oregon Professional Development
- Thompson Hine Cleveland Office Sustainability Initiative Committee, Founder and Chair
- Environmental Health Watch, Board Member
- Civic Leadership Institute Cleveland – Class of 2015
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D., 2008
- University of Dayton, B.S., 2003,
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- Thompson Hine Elects 11 New Partners,
Thompson Hine LLP, January 26, 2021
- Mechanic’s Liens (OH),
Lexis Practice Advisor, August 24, 2020
- Ohio Supreme Court Holds 10-Year Construction Statute of Repose Includes Breach of Contract Claims,
Construction Update, July 19, 2019