Robert A. Selak
Bob is a partner in the firm's Commercial and Public Finance and Corporate Transactions & Securities practice groups. He focuses his practice on public finance, structured finance and economic development.
His practice in the public finance area includes acting as bond counsel, underwriters' counsel for national and regional underwriters, issuer's counsel and in other capacities (including representation of conduit borrowers and credit enhancement providers) on financings by or through various state and local governmental entities in Ohio (such as the Ohio Public Facilities Commission, the Ohio Housing Finance Agency, the City of Cincinnati and numerous public universities) and other states. These matters have included general obligation, revenue and lease appropriation financing for governmental issuers and financings of facilities for nonprofit and private users, including nonprofit colleges and universities, health care and cultural facilities and industrial facilities (including environmental and exempt facilities), P3 projects and economic development projects.
His practice in the structured finance area includes securitizations, primarily of student loans, and other structured transactions. This includes both SEC-registered and private placement securitizations and tax-exempt bonds (including both housing and student loan bonds) issued by governmental issuers.
His practice also includes representing a variety of clients in connection with various tax and economic incentives provided by state and local governments for development projects and in connection with public and private partnerships.
- Representative transactions include acting as bond counsel on a $159,530,000 bond issue for a hospital system in 2016; acting as counsel to the developer consortium on Ohio’s first P3 transportation project and as bond counsel on the related issuance of private activity bonds; acting as bond counsel or underwriters' counsel on numerous general obligation bond issues by the Ohio Public Facilities Commission; acting as underwriters' counsel on numerous bond issues by public universities including a $75,930,000 bond issue for Miami University in 2021 and a $893,120,000 bond issue in 2010 for The Ohio State University; acting as issuer's counsel and disclosure counsel to the Ohio Housing Finance Agency on over $7 billion of single family mortgage revenue bonds issued since 2005; and acting as bond counsel on numerous exempt facilities financings in Ohio and other states.
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2008 to 2022 for Banking and Finance Law and Public Finance Law
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Public Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Cincinnati
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section; Urban, State and Local Government Law Section
- Ohio State Bar Association