Janis B. Rosenthal
Janis has been a partner in Thompson Hine’s Labor & Employment practice group since 1989. She has extensive experience in workers' compensation law and represents employers in administrative hearings and litigation before the Industrial Commission of Ohio and state courts throughout Ohio.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Janis was a partner with Smith and Schnacke, a Dayton based law firm.
- Negotiation of settlements for non-complying employers.
- Settlement analysis of High Value Claims which require Medicare set-aside consideration or multiple employers or claims.
- Settlement of pending Permanent Total Disability claims and existing PTD claims.
- Evaluation/Representation involving Applications for Specific Safety Requirement Violations.
- Litigation of matters in Common Pleas Court cases throughout Ohio.
- Evaluation of complex medical issues.
- Counseling employers on investigation of claims and defenses available.
- Advising employers on use of surveillance and use of social media when conducting an investigation.
- Evaluation of claims to limit periods of disability.
- “Managing the Industrial Concussion,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work Newsletter, Winter 2017
- “Extraterritorial Coverage in Workers' Comp,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work Newsletter, Summer 2016
- “The Impact of Obergefell on Workers’ Compensation,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Summer 2015
- “Does Your Household Need to Obtain Workers’ Compensation Coverage?,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Spring 2014
- “A Defense to Remember,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Spring 2013
- Numerous presentations on labor and employment issues for: Lorman and National Business Institute; Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention; speaker at Ohio State Bar Association Seminar in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Central Ohio Self Insurers; Northern Ohio Self Insurers; Project HeadStart Coordinators; Columbus Bar Association; Southwest Ohio Self Insurers and Ohio Self Insurers Schools.
- Ohio Employment and Labor Law; Professional Development Institute.
- Employment Regulations in Ohio; Institute of Business Law.
- Moderator and presenter: May 16, 2014 Seminar “Workplace Investigation in Ohio”. Speech given: “Building Your Workers’ Compensation Case With A Thorough Investigation”.
- June 4, 2013 Seminar “Effective Handling of Workers’ Compensation Issues”.
- June 12, 2012 Seminar “Preventing & Managing Your Workers’ Compensation Claims” at the request of HR Partners in Dayton, Ohio.
- December 7, 2011 Seminar “Workers’ Compensation Preparation for Hearing”.
- May 16, 2011 Seminar “Sometimes the Best Option is Settlement”.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 to 2019
- Columbus CEO listed as a Top Lawyer 2012 and 2013
- Columbus Business First Best Attorneys in Central Ohio 2012 and 2013
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for over 10 years
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyer magazine, 2017-2020
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Central Ohio Self-Insurers Association, Member
- Columbus Association Zoo Board, Member since 2007