Matthew David Ridings, CCEP
Co-chair, Compliance & Internal Investigations
Vice Chair, Business Litigation
Matt Ridings is a partner in the firm’s Antitrust and Government Enforcement, Internal Investigations & White Collar Defense practice groups, and co-chair of the Compliance and Internal Investigations practice. He focuses his practice on white collar and compliance matters, specifically including international antitrust and anti-corruption issues. Matt has successfully tried numerous criminal and civil trials involving allegations of corruption, antitrust, and other competition-related violations.
Outside of the court room, Matt has conducted internal investigations and represented and advised corporate executives, multinational corporations, and their boards of directors in response to civil and criminal inquiries from the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, and Securities and Exchange Commission, including parallel investigations involving the European Commission, Japan Fair Trade Commission, and the Canadian Competition Bureau, among others.
Matt is a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional® (CCEP) and has significant experience advising global companies on risk management and organizational compliance and ethics. He has conducted risk assessments and developed and evaluated compliance programs for companies of all sizes, as well as leading international anti-corruption due diligence in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
White Collar Criminal Practice / Internal Investigations
Corporate executive facing federal corruption charges
Won acquittal for charges of conspiracy to commit bribery in a federal program, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit honest services fraud (only defendant acquitted among more than 60+ politicians and public officials charged).
Amish beard cutting convictions reversed at Court of Appeals
Represented members of the Amish community in winning a reversal at the Court of Appeals for their convictions under the Hate Crimes Prevention Action, which was the first case brought under the statute for religiously-motivated violence.
Multinational FCPA investigation
Represented telecommunications company before the DOJ and SEC in connection with alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations in Africa and Southeast Asia.
Executive alleged to have led foreign bribery program
Defended Taiwanese national against possible FCPA violations relating to Asian banking industry investigation by the DOJ and SEC.
Global anti-corruption due diligence investigation
Represented subsidiary of a publicly-traded, multinational company in anti-corruption due diligence investigation relating to the acquisition of a company with operations in more than 70 countries, including Africa, Asia, Russia, and South America.
Possible FCPA violations in banking industry
Represented foreign national and investment bank executive in connection with possible Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations in China.
Anti-corruption diligence for acquisition of water treatment product
Represented private equity fund in conducting diligence relating to acquisition of water treatment company with sales in South and Central America and Russia.
Alleged bribery in construction industry
Represented company in an internal investigation into possible anti-corruption violations in connection with the construction of a public works project.
Antitrust cartel investigation
Represented multinational chemical manufacturer in price-fixing cartel investigation led by the Department of Justice.
Foreign executive in price-fixing investigation
Defended foreign national in worldwide price-fixing investigation of the shipping industry involving the DOJ, Japan Fair Trade Commission, and European Commission.
Executive charged with federal extortion and corruption crimes
Defended corporate executive charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud, theft of government property, and extortion in nine-day federal trial.
Company scientist charged with trade secret theft
Defended scientist alleged to have been engaged in economic espionage on behalf of a foreign power and stolen trade secrets from his employer.
Bank investigation into alleged kickback payments
Representation of a financial institution in an internal investigation of alleged kickbacks paid to politicians and public officials in connection with the sale of securities to public pension funds.
Possible insider trading prior to privatization
Investigated possible insider trading scheme by executive of a publicly-traded company prior to a privatization deal from a private equity fund.
Bank investigation of possible 10b-5 violations
Represented financial institution in internal investigation regarding allegations of false statements made in connection with the sale of securities.
Possible false statements by a broker-dealer
Represented broker-dealer in FINRA investigation and enforcement proceedings alleging false statements made in connection with the sale of securities.
Compliance, Risk Management, and Counseling
United States & European Union antitrust compliance
Counseled multi-national manufacturers on the application of and compliance with U.S. and EU antitrust law, particularly relating to distributorships, distribution agreements, and vertical restraints.
Compliance program assessment and review
Represented multinational, publicly-traded energy company in anti-corruption risk assessment and revision to FCPA and related anti-corruption policies, procedures, and controls.
AML compliance assessment
Represented global jewelry retailer in review and assessment of its anti-money laundering compliance program.
Anti-corruption and antitrust compliance training
Designed and presented training programs for various global companies relating to international antitrust and anti-bribery and corruption compliance.
Possible manufacturing collaboration with competitor
Represented Tier 1 automotive supplier regarding antitrust implications of a strategic alliance with a competitive supplier in the creation and manufacture of automotive parts.
Creation of compliant product distribution network
Represented international building products manufacturer on the creation and maintenance of a North American product distribution network.
Civil Antitrust and Competition Litigation
Civil Investigative Demand merger challenge
Represented global services firm in responding to a Civil Investigative Demand from the Federal Trade Commission relating to a merger challenge.
Merger challenge from the Department of Justice
Represented manufacturer of aviation fuel filtration systems in connection with merger challenge and Civil Investigative Demand from the Department of Justice.
Second Requests from US and Canadian authorities
Represented manufacturer of offshore drilling equipment in response to Second Request from Department of Justice and Canadian Competition Bureau.
Corporate executive as defendant in antitrust litigation
Won dismissal of multi-million Dollar antitrust litigation against corporate executive alleged to be ringleader of antitrust conspiracy.
RICO litigation involving government procurement
Represented company alleged to have participated in a RICO conspiracy to defraud government purchasers.
Trade secret theft by former employee
Represented company in civil litigation against its former employee for breach of duty of loyalty and theft of trade secrets in federal jury trial, winning verdict.
Unfair competition by competitor
Won punitive damage aware against competitor of client for tortiously interfering with the client’s employees.
Willfully infringing on copyrights
Won willful damage jury award on behalf of global media licensing company for willful infringement of its copyrights.
Injunction against the Food & Drug Administration
Obtained restraining order preventing Food & Drug Administration from blocking the importation of electronic cigarettes, ruling upheld on appeal.
- “No-Poach Provision Found Unenforceable by Pennsylvania Supreme Court,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, May 2021
- “Selling Through Dealers – Antitrust Guidelines for Manufacturers,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Guidelines, April 2021
- “Supreme Court Rules FTC Cannot Obtain Equitable Monetary Relief Directly in Court,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, April 2021
- “Current State of Affairs in No-Poach Enforcement: Is Criminal No-Poach Prosecution Finally on the Horizon?” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2021
- "Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade," Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 2020
- “Supply Chain Disruptions Bring Compliance Risks to the Forefront,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “As More Employees Work Remotely, Protecting Trade Secrets Must Remain ‘Essential Business,’” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Insider Trading Compliance During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- "Novel COVID-19 Virus, Commercial Contracts and Force Majeure," Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, March 2020
- “U.S. Alleges Huawei Involved in Long-Running Scheme to Steal Trade Secrets,” Thompson Hine White Collar Update, February 2020
- “U.S. Probes Scientists and Academics with Overseas Ties, Targets Trade Secret Transfers,” Thompson Hine White Collar Update, January 2020
- Co-author, "DOJ Steps Up Antitrust Enforcement," Crain's Cleveland Business, January 18, 2020
- “Antitrust Agencies Release New Vertical Merger Guidelines,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, January 2020
- Co-author, "Justice Department Emphasizes Antitrust Enforcement Through Creation of Multi-Agency and Bid-Rigging Strike Force," Thompson Hine Antitrust & Government Contracts Update, November 2019
- Co-author, Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Franchising, American Bar Association (4th ed.)
- “The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Consequences for Trade Secret Litigation,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, July 2014
- “Court Clarifies Foreign Government ‘Instrumentality’ Under FCPA,” Thompson Hine FCPA/Antibribery Update, May 21, 2014
- “Supreme Court Clarifies False Advertising Standing,” Thompson Hine Unfair Competition Update, April 2014
- Editor, Antitrust Discovery Handbook, American Bar Association (3d ed. 2013)
- "Conquer Modern Coconspirator Declarations," For The Defense, January 2013
- "Seeking a Downward Departure for Small Business Impact," For The Defense, July 2011
- Author/editor, Antitrust Law Development (Sixth), 2010 Annual Review, American Bar Association, 2011
- Co-author, "Antitrust Conspiracies in Franchise Systems After American Needle," Franchise Law Journal, 2011
- Contributing author, Business Torts: A Fifty State Guide, Aspen Publishing, 2007 to 2020
- Contributor, Antitrust Handbook for Franchise and Distribution Practitioners, American Bar Association, 2008
- Contributor, Antitrust Law and Economics of Product Distribution, American Bar Association, 2006
- Co-presenter, "Presidential Executive Order Targets Changes in Antitrust Enforcement," Thompson Hine Competition Cafe Webinar Series, April 2022
- Co-presenter, "White Collar Crime - Recent Developments and Emerging Risks Part II," Thompson Hine Webinar Series, March 18, 2021
- Co-presenter, "White Collar Crime - Recent Developments and Emerging Risks Part I," Thompson Hine Webinar Series, February 18, 2021
- Co-presenter, "Practical Advice for Antitrust and Privacy Compliance in the Biden Era," Thompson Hine Webinar Series, March 2, 2021
- Co-presenter, "Mitigating Supply Agreement Risks: Structuring Defense, Indemnity, and Insurance Provisions, Allocating Liability Between Manufacturers, Suppliers, and End Sellers; Maximizing Insurance Coverage for Losses," Strafford Webinar, February 16, 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Litigation Hot List, 2019-2020
- Selected for inclusion in 2013 to 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2014 to 2022 for Commercial Litigation
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, Antitrust Section Council, 2011 to 2014
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Secretary, Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Board of Trustees
- Sixth Circuit Criminal Justice Act appointment
December 01, 2020
May 18, 2020
Force Majeure & Commercial ContractsBloomberg Law
March 12, 2020
Adviser: DOJ Steps Up Antitrust Enforcement - A new year provides an opportunity to take stock of your compliance program
January 18, 2020