Stephen J. Butler
Subpractice Group Leader, Intellectual Property Litigation
Steve is the leader of the firm’s IP litigation practice and has 38 years of experience in assisting clients to resolve intellectual property and other complex commercial cases in federal and state courts throughout the country.
- Defense of a manufacturer of storm water treatment device in patent infringement litigation.
- Defense of a manufacturer of products used in concrete construction in patent infringement litigation.
- Defense of a patent owner in litigation alleging misappropriation of ideas and seeking change of inventorship and damages.
- Representation of an accused infringer in Federal Circuit appeal of case involving packaging system.
- Representation of national operator of grocery and related stores in declaratory judgment and infringement litigation involving customer loyalty rewards and couponing systems.
- Representation of the owner of a patent covering process for preparing pressure sensitive adhesive in declaratory judgment litigation asserting claims of invalidity and inequitable conduct.
- Representation of owner of patent covering method for improving efficiency of operations of trucking companies in multidistrict litigation over infringement and invalidity claims.
- Representation of a manufacturer of surgical instruments in litigation against former employee who obtained patents on devices in violation of his inventions agreement.
- Representation of a nutraceutical manufacturer in false patent marking litigation.
- Representation of a manufacturer of industrial machinery in patent infringement litigation.
- Defense of a supplier of hardware and software systems for networked inventory management against claims for copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented an inventor of technology in litigation with equity investors over control of the corporation.
- Defense of a company accused of stealing trade secrets after hiring a chemist employed by a competitor in an FBI investigation and related civil litigation.
- Defense of a physician in litigation for copyright infringement litigation based on materials presented at a medical seminar.
- Representation of an Australian manufacturer of consumer products in a design patent infringement case.
- Representation of a digital printer manufacturer in an patent infringement case.
- Obtained injunction and retraction order on behalf of a national catalog company in a Lanham Act false advertising case against a competitor.
- Representation of a chemical manufacturer in action to enjoin a competitor's misappropriation of product formula.
- Defense of a manufacturer in False Claims Act litigation seeking $250 million in damages for alleged product substitution on federally funded projects.
- Obtained $5.3 million judgment for purchaser of defective industrial equipment in suit against manufacturer.
- Obtained injunction in federal court, which was affirmed on appeal, enforcing a non-compete agreement on behalf of manufacturer against a terminated distributor.
- Designed and conducted internal investigation for a manufacturer which suspected that its regional plants had provided nonconforming products under government contracts, and then implemented a procedure to resolve the matter without litigation by disclosing the results of the investigation to the government agency.
- Defense of landfill operators in environmental citizens' suit alleging federal statutory and state common law claims.
- Representation of a commercial property owner in indemnification claim against seller of business for environmental remediation costs.
- Assisted in representation of manufacturing companies in Superfund contribution claims.
- Defense of a manufacturer of stormwater detention system in a 400 unit condominium project in litigation over collapse of the system by the developer against the manufacturer, the engineer and the contractor.
- Defense of a manufacturer of large corrugated steel tunnel in litigation over collapse of the structure at a coal mine.
- Multiple representations of manufacturer of oil country tubular goods in litigation involving offshore and down-hole failures in wells and transmission lines.
- Representation of majority shareholders in a suit by minority shareholders asserting claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with sale of business.
- Obtained jury verdict for manufacturer of storm water pipe used in renovation of major metropolitan sewer system on claims by general contractor on the project alleging defective design.
- Defense of a contractor in criminal investigation, government enforcement action, and civil class action in Indiana arising out of discharge of chemicals into a river.
- Obtained a $10 million arbitration award for damages suffered by purchaser of a business arising from seller’s breach of representation that it had operated the business in compliance with the law.
- Obtained summary judgment for seller of a business on claims by buyer for fraud and breach of contractual representations and warranties.
- Representation of a steel manufacturer in claim against supplier of scrap metal for delivering scrap containing radioactive material that contaminated the manufacturer's plant.
- Defense of purchaser of business in claims by seller for breach of contract and fiduciary duties in connection with determination of the earn-out portion of the purchase price.
- Obtained $5.3 million judgment for purchaser in breach of warranty litigation against manufacturer of equipment for heat-treating steel.
- Defense of officer of savings bank against criminal fraud charges.
- Defense of a manufacturer in litigation by a distributor alleging price discrimination.
- Defense of a soft drink bottler in grand jury price fixing investigation that was terminated without indictment.
- Representation of soft drink bottler in litigation filed by a competitor for alleged monopolistic and unfair business practices.
- Defense of a company in civil investigation by state Attorney General into alleged monopolistic practices.
- Representation of an individual charged with criminal antitrust violations in investigation of market allocation in the packaged ice industry.
- Representation of a manufacturer of ready-mix concrete in claim against plant owner for unlawful tying arrangement.
- Seminar presentation on antitrust and contracting issues in purchase and sale transactions
- Seminar presentation and publication of materials entitled "Distribution Conflicts in Cyberspace," dealing with antitrust issues involved in doing business on the Internet
- Presentation of training programs to clients' sales employees on antitrust compliance
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized annually since 2007 in the directory of The Best Lawyers in America and named in Best Lawyers 2016, 2018 and 2020 Lawyer of the Year
- Selected annually since 2008 for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyer magazine
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- The Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, trustee, 1994 to 1999
- Junior Achievement of Greater Cincinnati, director, 1995 to 1997
- The Cincinnatus Association