Building on our experience over more than 30 years in the oil and gas industry, lawyers in Thompson Hine's Shale Energy & Infrastructure group understand the significant effect that shale development has on state economies.
We are a highly collaborative multidisciplinary group offering extensive experience to clients such as:
- Construction companies
- Electric utilities
- Financial institutions
- Gas and petroleum production equipment manufacturers
- Gas transmission businesses
- Independent power producers
- Mining companies
- Oil and gas exploration and production companies
- Real estate developers and owners
- Transportation companies
The Experience You Need
Our collective experience includes representing oil and gas industry clients over the past 30 years in all aspects of oil and gas exploration and production, including counseling on regulatory issues and negotiating mineral leases and mineral asset acquisitions and divestitures. Active in the professional community, we often serve in leadership roles in real estate and industrial trade groups and the American Bar Association. The depth and scope of our experience and the seamless integration of relevant practices within our firm facilitates this multidisciplinary effort.
We offer extensive experience across the following areas:
An illustrative sampling of our experience in this area:
- Â— Assisting a global leader in coatings and specialty chemicals in completing a lease of reserved mineral interests in over 300 acres in an area of North Dakota with recent successful drilling operations. We guided our client through a competitive bidding process with two very interested potential lessees and helped the company negotiate very favorable lease terms, including more than doubling the advance rent payment.
- Â— Serving as counsel to a European investor in its $3.4 billion acquisition of percentage interest in Marcellus shale oil and gas lease assets in Ohio.
- Â— Representing an interstate natural gas pipeline company in the planning, development and construction of a 150-mile natural gas pipeline serving gas utilities, paper mills and electric generation plants throughout New England.
- Â— Representing an energy company expanding its footprint in the Utica shale play by assisting in its acquisition of and merger with a local producer.
- Â— Evaluating an oil and gas leasing program on behalf of a retail developer, including advice regarding the negotiation of drilling and nondrilling oil and gas leases, development of a lease template, creation of a review template for title and loan documents and summary memo form, and preparation of review packages for numerous sites.
- All aspects of oil and gas exploration and production
- Natural resources law
- Gas collection, transmission and distribution
- Energy project development, contracting, regulation and project finance for a wide range of facilities
- Management of air emissions, wastewater discharges and waste disposal permitting, pollution control planning and enforcement defense
- Product stewardship/chemical regulation, including regulatory approvals for new products, formulations and chemicals under the Toxic Substances Control Act; Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act; and chemical-specific mandates
- Public and private securities transactions involving entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, public companies, private equity investors and management groups
- Investment management advice including structural, transactional and regulatory advice to mutual funds, hedge funds, registered investment advisers and broker-dealers
- Regulatory advice and counsel – mining, environmental, energy, supply chain management, tax and proactive practices
- Consultation to landowners and developers on leasing mineral interests to producers
- Litigation on emerging issues relevant to shale development, traditional environmental law, toxic and mass tort, nuisance, product liability, insurance and risk management, and applications in federal and state venues
- Litigation, defense counsel – on emerging issues of GHG law, traditional environmental law, nuisance, products liability and applications in federal and state venues.
- Transportation and supply chain management at the company, city, county and state levels, working with critical national transportation precedents
New Ohio Energy Bill Includes Horizontal Drilling Provisions - Shale Energy Update
June 12, 2012
Ohio’s JCARR Approves New Drilling Rules - Shale Energy Update
May 14, 2012
EPA Finalizes NSPS and NESHAPS for Oil and Gas Industries - Shale Energy Update
May 01, 2012
ODNR Proposes to Tighten Rules Governing Brine Disposal Wells - Shale Energy Update
March 13, 2012
Ohio EPA Issues Final General Air Permit for Shale Oil and Gas Production - Shale Energy Update
February 16, 2012