In today's interconnected world, maintaining the privacy and integrity of personal data is not only a legal responsibility, it's a business imperative. Maintaining the efficient, reliable and competitively successful use of business data in today's globally connected economy while complying with the growing thicket of privacy and data security laws can and should be complementary goals.
Thompson Hine's nationally recognized Privacy & Cybersecurity practice offers clients an interdisciplinary group of lawyers with experience in complex national and international issues of privacy, data protection, information security, records retention, employment and labor law, consumer protection, internet law, insurance law and intellectual property matters. Our practice is designed to help you develop, implement and benefit from globally compliant data-management practices.
We provide strategic counseling, regulatory compliance and litigation services to clients in a wide range of industries, with a keen eye on business information needs. Our team, which includes Certified Privacy Professionals, assists numerous companies in developing and implementing their global privacy and data protection programs and strengthening their strategic use of competitively critical data. We also advise on structuring cyber insurance programs and on insurance recovery for cyber-related claims.
- Assisting clients in developing, implementing, managing, and monitoring enterprise-wide, global privacy and data security policies, programs and protocols.
- Counseling on compliance with the full range of state, national and international laws and regulations including the European Union Privacy Directive, HIPAA, FCRA, FACTA, ECPA and others.
- Advising on the trans-border transfer of sensitive personal data, including data transfers from and to European Union operations in connection with mergers and acquisitions, human resource operations, IT systems and other contexts.
- Assisting global companies with certification under the Department of Commerce Safe Harbor program.
- Advising companies that sponsor group health plans, insurers, health care providers and business associates on their respective obligations under HIPAA’s privacy and security requirements.
- Assisting companies in responding to data breaches.
- Representing companies in litigation growing out of data security incidents and cybercrimes.
- Reviewing, developing and advising on the processing of patient and health care data, drafting patient consent forms and non-disclosures for the life science industry.
- Assisting with designing, implementing and managing marketing and advertising preferences, and compliance with Do-Not-Call, Do-Not-Fax, TCPA, CAN SPAM, COPPA and state laws and regulations.
- Counseling companies on maintaining and operating legal compliance programs, including confidential whistleblower mechanisms, in the face of conflicting global privacy laws.
- Litigating federal and state privacy and internet matters.
- Consulting on global workplace privacy and employee-monitoring concerns.
- Providing contract solutions for outsourcing relationships.
- Counseling on records retention and data destruction plans.
- Engaging in, responding to and managing electronic discovery.
- Consulting on e-commerce and internet contest issues.
- Advising on how to deal with unfair competition and consumer protection concerns.
- Responding to trademark and copyright infringement, including cybersquatting and counterfeiting.
- Registering and protecting domain names.
Court Finds Work Product Doctrine Protects Data Breach Records - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
June 08, 2017
New York Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulation Takes Effect March 1 - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 21, 2017
Cybersecurity Commission Report Encourages Immediate Action, Collaboration - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
December 12, 2016
New York Proposes Cybersecurity Regulations for Financial Services Firms - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 17, 2016
Business Law Update — Summer 2016 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
July 20, 2016
Second Circuit Limits Use of Warrants to Secure Electronic Data Stored Abroad - Privacy & White Collar Update
July 15, 2016
European Commission Adopts EU-U.S. Privacy Shield - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 13, 2016
Fourth Circuit Finds Insurance Coverage for Exposure of Electronic Medical Records Under Traditional Insurance Policy - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
April 12, 2016
European Commission Publishes EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Legal Texts - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
March 02, 2016
FDIC Issues Cybersecurity Guidance for Banks - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 10, 2016
U.S. and EU Agree on New Framework to Replace Safe Harbor - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 03, 2016
EU Court: Employee Email Monitoring May Not Breach Privacy Rights - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
January 22, 2016
Enhanced EU Data Protection Regulations - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
December 16, 2015
Additional DoD Guidance for Contractors on Cybersecurity Safeguards and Reporting - Government Contracts Update
December 14, 2015
EU/U.S. Safe Harbor Framework in Jeopardy: Article 29 Working Party Statement on ECJ Case - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 19, 2015
Court Decision Imperils Privacy Safe Harbor - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 06, 2015
OCIE Names Focus Areas for 2015 Cybersecurity Examinations - Investment Management Update
September 24, 2015
DoD Issues Interim Rule on Cloud Cybersecurity - Government Contracts Update
August 27, 2015
OMB Releases Draft Cybersecurity Guidance; New FAR Regulations on the Horizon - Government Contracts Update
August 13, 2015
New U.S. Government-Backed Standards for Protecting Data Will Affect Federal Contractors - Government Contracts Update
June 26, 2015
Proposed Rule to Control Exports of Cybersecurity Technologies - International Trade & Customs Update
May 26, 2015
Increased Cybersecurity Requirements for Government Contracts - Government Contracts Update
May 07, 2015
December 15, 2014
New SEC Rules to Combat Technology Glitches and Enhance Cybersecurity - Privacy & Investment Management Update
December 09, 2014
European Union Imposes Extraterritorial Privacy Obligations on U.S. Businesses - Privacy & Information Security Update
May 16, 2014
Canada’s New Anti-Spam Law — Is Your Business Ready? - Privacy & Information Security Update
May 05, 2014
New California Law Requires Tracking Transparency - Privacy & Information Security Update
March 04, 2014
California Legislature Passes “Do Not Track” Disclosure Law - Privacy & Information Security Update
September 13, 2013
OCR Announces Audit Initiative - Privacy & Cybersecurity and Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Update
November 10, 2011