Our Construction practice is the largest in Ohio and one of the most experienced in North America. We represent owners, design professionals, construction managers, contractors and sureties in connection with all facets of the building industry.
Nationally recognized for skill in resolving claims, our transactional construction group has served as project counsel for billions of dollars of construction at sites across the United States. Among these are many significant stadium and arena projects for the National Basketball Association, National Football League, National Hockey League, Major League Baseball, and university and minor league teams. Equally extensive is our experience with hospitals, pipelines, processing plants, schools and universities, office towers, hotels, and other commercial, industrial and institutional developments.
In tandem with Project Management Consultants (PMC), a wholly owned ancillary consulting practice, our construction consulting group includes professionals with extensive experience in design and construction management. We provide unique consulting services such as partnering facilitation and mediation, project and risk management, financial strategizing and owner's representative services for projects throughout the United States.
- Golden State Warriors Arena; San Francisco, California
- Nationwide NHL Arena; Columbus, Ohio
- Crawford Museum of Transportation and Industry; Cleveland, Ohio
- Gallium Production Plant; Pinjarra, Western Australia
- Severance Hall Renovation and Addition; Cleveland, Ohio
- Dayton Daily News Production Facility; Dayton, Ohio
- Gateway-Jacobs Field and Gund Arena; Cleveland, Ohio
- The Rialto Project; Atlanta, Georgia
- Key Center Office Tower; Cleveland, Ohio
- Marriott Hotel; Cleveland, Ohio
- Marriott Hotel; South Bend, Indiana
- Akron General Medical Center; Akron, Ohio
- BP America Parking Garage; Cleveland, Ohio
- Society-Marriott Garage; Cleveland, Ohio
- Pier House Hotel; Key West, Florida
- Health Hill Hospital; Cleveland, Ohio
- Nautica Phase II Powerhouse Project; Cleveland, Ohio
- Renaissance Center; Cleveland, Ohio
- Symphony Towers; San Diego, California
- Carew Tower Retail Renovation; Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Allen Theatre; Cleveland, Ohio
- National Power Cooperative; Columbus, Ohio
- A.M. McGregor Nursing Home; Cleveland, Ohio
- Portland Natural Gas Transmission System (Boston to Canada Pipeline Project)
- Litigated numerous matters involving facilities valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successfully mediated a $30 million dispute between a major design professional and a joint venture of a Fortune 500 company.
- Obtained a $4.2 million mediation and a $500,000 mediation result arising out of the renovation of the Ohio Statehouse.
- Obtained $2.7 million award relating to defective design and administration of a bridge.
- Represented a municipality in the defense of a multimillion dollar claim for extra work, delay and disruption.
- Provided partnering facilitation services for multimillion dollar Ohio School Facilities Commission school construction projects.
- Represented contractor in a claim against the federal government for wrongful default termination and claims for additional cost.
- Represented surety in project default, bond claims and indemnity actions.
- Provided litigation and arbitration counsel services to owner and developer of Tower City Avenue, Ritz-Carlton and Skylight Office Towers.
- Provided litigation counsel services to general contractors on various water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Represented contractor in successfully setting aside the award of a contract in violation of competitive bidding.
- Mediated million dollar settlement between surety and Veteran's Administration at U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Represented unsuccessful bidder in Navy procurement, resulting in overturning two GAO decisions and U.S. District Court decision, and payment of bid and proposal costs and attorney fees.
- Represented a municipality defending claims by a contractor for differing site conditions on an EPA and FMHA-funded project.
- Represented a bridge contractor on a multimillion dollar claim for extras involving the construction of a bridge.
Infrastructure Priorities Under the Trump Administration - Construction Update
February 23, 2017
Update: Court Grants Permanent Injunction in Local Hire Lawsuit - Construction Update
February 01, 2017
New Ohio Property Tax Exemption for Commercial and Industrial Development - Construction Update
January 26, 2017
GAO’s Bid Protest Annual Report Shows Record High Effectiveness Rate While NDAA Calls for Bid Protest Study - Government Contracts Update
January 10, 2017
OFCC Issues Annual Report, Proposes Rule Amendments - Construction Update
November 17, 2016
Pennsylvania Supreme Court Holding Highlights Variations in Prompt Payment Law - Construction Update
November 03, 2016
Texas Court Issues Nationwide Injunction Against Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Final Rule - Government Contracts Update
October 26, 2016
Effective Dates Approaching for Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Final Rule Implementation - Government Contracts Update
October 13, 2016
September 22, 2016
Court Grants Preliminary Injunction in Local Hire Lawsuit - Construction Update
August 31, 2016
Supreme Court Decision Highlights Risks Related to Federal Programs, Contracts and Grants - Construction & Government Contracts Update
August 04, 2016
Product Liability eNewsletter - Summer 2016 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
July 25, 2016
Tax Increment Financing - Construction Update
July 21, 2016
Business Law Update — Summer 2016 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
July 20, 2016
Forum-Selection Clauses in Construction Contracts — After Atlantic Marine - Construction Update
July 11, 2016
June 23, 2016
June 09, 2016
New Law Bans Local Hiring Requirements on Ohio Public Projects - Construction Update
June 02, 2016
Ohio Legislature Passes Ban on Local Hiring Requirements - Construction Update
May 16, 2016
Ohio Court Upholds Unenforceability of Public School Construction “Contract” - Construction Update
May 05, 2016
Ohio Supreme Court Upholds Liquidated Damages Against Public Construction Contractor - Construction Update
April 21, 2016
April 15, 2016
December 03, 2014
September 01, 2014
June 04, 2014
June 25, 2013
May 14, 2013
March 27, 2013
March 20, 2013
“Just Say No” — GAO No Longer Considering Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Set-Aside Protests - Government Contracts Update
January 14, 2013
Oil and Gas Boom Impacts Real Estate - ReCon Update
March 29, 2012
Court Rules on Article 8 Claims Resolution Process Requirements - Construction Update
January 04, 2011
Recent Developments in Ohio Mechanic's Lien and Bond Claim Law - Construction Update
October 26, 2010
Wrongfully Rejected Bidders May Recover Monetary Damages From a Public Authority - Construction Update
July 21, 2010
February 26, 2009