Commercial Lease Disputes and Real Estate Litigation
We represent property owners and developers as well as landlords and tenants in all kinds of lease disputes and other types of real estate litigation. We frequently represent retail landlords in the enforcement of tenant leases through litigation and pre-litigation settlements. The disputes involve such issues as fee and tax calculations, continuous operations clauses, exclusivity provisions, relocation clauses, termination agreements, premises liability and security matters.
Our lawyers have:
- Represented tenants in limited circumstances, such as a case settled in favor of our client, a grocer, for nearly $1 million. The grocer was in district court fighting for its landlord to transfer possession of the leasehold premises voluntarily. After leasing a grocery store to our client, the landlord secretly had decided to knock the shopping center down to make way for a home improvement store.
- Represented one of the nation’s leading retailers in a multimillion-dollar commercial lease dispute. The responsibility for paying the award was shared by the landlord and multiple third parties we brought into the case.
- Represented a large manufacturing client who was the tenant in a commercial landlord/tenant dispute over defects in construction.
- Represented a large national real estate development and property management company in various commercial tenant disputes.
- Assisted in the termination of a 99-year lease after the mortgage in a sale-leaseback transaction had been paid.