Our real estate financing team guides developers, public companies, private equity funds, public REITs and individuals through all aspects of conventional finance and capital markets transactions.
We advise on:
- Collateralized debt obligations
- Commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS)
- Conduit financing
- Construction financing
- Tax credit financing
- Capital lease transactions
- Debt securitizations
- Mezzanine financing
- Preferred equity investments
- Syndicated credit lines for private equity funds and REITs
- Warehouse loan facilities
Real Estate Private Equity
We provide counsel on real estate private equity funds involving private equity, corporate and securities, tax, ERISA, and various real estate regulations including the Investment Company Act of 1940. We are adept at forming a range of real estate private equity funds particularly those adopting a private REIT structure.
Our fund representation experience covers core, value-added and opportunity funds, property sector-specific funds, mezzanine loan funds, real estate hedge funds and other investment strategies.
We combine the experience of our tax, ERISA, private equity, corporate and real estate teams to effectively represent clients on the formation, structure, acquisition and disposition of real estate joint ventures. Our work includes advising on complex debt transactions, debt acquisitions, single property and portfolio acquisitions, workouts, restructurings and other distressed situations.
Public-Private Partnerships (P3)
Our P3 team guides clients through complex issues related to partnerships between public authorities and private sector entities. We have provided counsel on standard contract provisions, transactional risks and financing options to effectively move clients from project structure to execution.
Backed by the experience of our top-tier real estate team, we combine innovative negotiation skills with extensive knowledge of how governments work to provide practical advice on all aspects of a P3 transaction.
- Representing two largely institutional, private equity funds, with total capitalization of approximately $1 billion, in direct project investments and dispositions, including two mixed-use projects in California, greenfield development in Alabama and urban infill redevelopment in Washington state.
- Representing a private equity fund in the lodging sector, including structuring and counsel during the solicitation process, as well as in 11 direct project investments totaling approximately $100 million and exit dispositions on six of the assets.
- Representing the seller of entity interests in a major land development project in Texas, including thousands of acres for residential and mixed use, and providing counsel to seller in connection with a mezzanine loan encumbering the project, including navigation of rights of first offer in favor of third parties.
- Representing a food supplier in real estate aspects of a $1 billion refinancing involving properties in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.
- Representing joint ventures involving 10-plus industrial facilities in five states and Canada, including development of shared services agreements, for chemical company.
- Representing a joint venture of private equity investors in the acquisition of real estate, plant and equipment comprising a 142,000-square-foot industrial manufacturing facility in Wisconsin.
- Representing a joint venture comprised of a national REIT, a shopping mall developer and major investment bank in multistate financing of net lease locations.
- Serving as design and construction team member in P3 transportation infrastructure project in Ohio.
- Representing a global manufacturing company in credit tenant lease in Ohio facility and associated mortgage financing.
- Representing agent bank in syndication of a multi-tranche credit facility secured by agricultural products and real estate.
- Representing a national developer in structuring and negotiating a $1.2 billion sale of a regional mall portfolio involving 21 properties in 14 states to a NYSE-listed REIT.
- Representing an AMEX-listed lodging REIT through the initial listing process in the acquisition of a 10-hotel portfolio located in several southwestern states and served as general counsel to the company responsible for REIT compliance and other governance issues.
- Representing a joint venture between a developer and a state pension fund in structuring a project investment for a $320 million mixed-use development and subsequent recapitalization and joint venture with a public REIT.
- Representing a REIT in formation of joint venture and $270 million acquisition and financing of an office building in Florida with secured financing by syndication of lenders.
- Representing a REIT in formation of joint venture, acquisition and financing of a $40 million retail center in Florida and later dissolution and disposition of same.
- Representing a public REIT in formation of a $200 million asset-backed securities fund and negotiation of related investment management agreement and joint venture.
- Representing a wireless company in formation of joint venture to acquire (and later dispose of) wireless network involving over 6,000 towers in California and New York.
- Representing a joint venture partner in negotiation of development agreement and management agreement for $120 million mixed-use riverfront project.
- Representing a global real estate advisory firm in a series of multifamily housing investments for joint ventures comprised of institutional investor and developer.
- Representing a pension fund in the acquisition from and the joint venture with a hotel operator of, and the related $122 million mortgage financing for, eight hotels in California, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas and Virginia.
- Representing a pension fund in the acquisition from and the joint venture with a private real estate company of, and the related $29 million mortgage loan and the related $2.5 million mezzanine loan for, a 401-unit apartment project in Chicago.
- Representing and structuring a joint venture between a developer, a pension fund and a public REIT for project investment in the acquisition and $200 million redevelopment of a significant retail center.
- Representing chemicals company in various refinancings with Wells Fargo involving property in multiple states throughout the United States.
- Representing a national portfolio of hotel properties in the formation of REMIC and structuring of public and private debt financing.