President Expands Sanctions on Russian and Ukrainian Officials
International Trade & Customs Update
Date: March 18, 2014
On March 17, 2014, President Obama signed a new Executive Order that expands the scope of sanctions blocking the property of persons contributing to the situation in Ukraine. This new authority extends E.O. 13660 (see Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update dated March 6, 2014) by designating certain Russian Federation officials and certain Ukrainian officials for sanctions, as set forth in the list below. The Executive Order further expands the scope of the sanctions to cover individuals or entities whom the Department of the Treasury subsequently determines are:
- Operating in the arms or related materiel sector in the Russian Federation
- Russian Federation senior officials
- Individuals or entities owned by, controlled by, or providing material or other support to Russian Federation senior officials or other parties designated by this order
In light of Russia’s military incursion into the Crimean peninsula, the March 16 vote in Crimea to secede from Ukraine, and Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decree recognizing Crimean independence, the United States followed through on threats to issue economic sanctions targeting Russian and Ukrainian officials. The sanctions target seven Russian government officials and four Ukrainians. The president also noted that the United States is prepared to take additional steps to impose further political and economic costs on Russia unless it abides by its international obligations.
As a result of the March 17 Executive Order, the following 11 individuals have been added to OFAC’s Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) List:
- AKSYONOV, Sergey Valeryevich (a.k.a. AKSENOV, Sergei; a.k.a. AKSYONOV, Sergei; a.k.a. AKSYONOV, Sergey; a.k.a. AKSYONOV, Sergiy; a.k.a. AKSYONOV, Serhiy Valeryevich); DOB 26 Nov 1972; POB Balti, Moldova (individual).
- GLAZYEV, Sergey (a.k.a. GLAZYEV, Sergei); DOB 01 Jan 1961; POB Zaporozhye, Ukraine; Presidential Advisor (individual).
- KLISHAS, Andrei (a.k.a. KLISHAS, Andrey); DOB 09 Nov 1972; POB Yekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk, Russia; Chairman of the Russian Federation Council Committee on Constitutional Law, Judicial and Legal Affairs and the Development of Civil Society (individual).
- KONSTANTINOV, Vladimir Andreyevich, Crimea, Ukraine; DOB 19 Nov 1956 (individual).
- MATVIYENKO, Valentina Ivanovna; DOB 07 Apr 1949; POB Shepetovka, Khmelnitsky, Ukraine; Federation Council Speaker; Chairman of the Russian Federation Council (individual).
- MEDVEDCHUK, Viktor; DOB 07 Aug 1954; POB Pochyot, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia (individual).
- MIZULINA, Yelena (a.k.a. MIZULINA, Elena; a.k.a. MIZULINA, Elena Borisovna; a.k.a. MIZULINA, Yelena Borisovna); DOB 09 Dec 1954; POB Bui, Kostroma, Russia; State Duma Deputy; Chairman of the State Duma Committee on Family, Women and Children (individual).
- ROGOZIN, Dmitry Olegovich (a.k.a. ROGOZIN, Dmitriy; a.k.a. ROGOZIN, Dmitry); DOB 21 Dec 1963; POB Moscow, Russia; Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation (individual).
- SLUTSKY, Leonid (a.k.a. SLUTSKIY, Leonid; a.k.a. SLUTSKY, Leonid E.; a.k.a. SLUTSKY, Leonid Eduardovich); DOB 04 Jan 1968; State Duma Deputy; Chairman of the Committee on Affairs of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS); First Deputy Chairman of the Committee on International Affairs; Chairman of the Russian World Fund Administration (individual).
- SURKOV, Vladislav Yurievich; DOB 21 Sep 1964; POB Solntsevo, Lipetsk, Russia; Presidential Aide (individual).
- YANUKOVYCH, Viktor Fedorovych; DOB 09 Jul 1950; POB Yenakiyeve, Donetsk Region, Ukraine; alt. POB Makiivka, Donbas, Ukraine; Former President of Ukraine (individual).
In addition, U.S. persons and companies that maintain any presence within the European Union (EU), should be aware that the EU also on March 17 issued further asset freezes and bans on 21 persons “responsible for actions which undermine or threaten the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Ukraine.”
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Thompson Hine will continue to monitor the situation and report on any further actions taken by the U.S. government. For more information, please contact:
James A. Losey
Kirsten Hoffstedt Keefe
Samir D. Varma
This advisory bulletin may be reproduced, in whole or in part, with the prior permission of Thompson Hine LLP and acknowledgment of its source and copyright. This publication is intended to inform clients about legal matters of current interest. It is not intended as legal advice. Readers should not act upon the information contained in it without professional counsel.
This document may be considered attorney advertising in some jurisdictions.
© 2014 THOMPSON HINE LLP. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.