Bill is a member of the firm’s Construction practice. His previous experience includes representing clients at trial and in arbitrations, mediations and appeals involving a wide range of complex multimillion-dollar construction and real estate matters. He also has drafted, reviewed and negotiated contracts, leases, liens and sales agreements. Bill is a Professional Engineer (licensed in Oregon) and a LEED Accredited Professional in Building Design + Construction.
Prior to practicing law, Bill held project engineer and project designer positions with a global infrastructure and environmental services company where he worked on a variety of public and private commercial and retail developments. He also gained experience with municipal and private projects as a designer for a civil engineering firm.
- Defended a major oil and gas midstream company against Utica Shale pipeline construction claims, which were amicably resolved after 4 weeks of jury trial.
- Served as second-chair trial lawyer defending civil engineer on $3.5 million lawsuit asserting professional negligence on public roadway and sewer replacement project. The matter was amicably resolved in first week of trial.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict as first-chair trial lawyer representing homeowner on negligence claim against uphill neighbor for damages resulting from landslide.
- Represented homeowners as a second-chair trial lawyer in first-party insurance claim against home insurer which denied coverage for landslide damages. After a summary judgment in favor of coverage, a favorable trial verdict on damages was obtained. Trial verdict was successfully defended in Oregon appellate courts. See Chou v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 253 Or App 552, rev denied 353 Or 787 (2013).
- Represented a municipality pursuing $1.2 million in product liability, breach of contract, and negligence claims against general contractor, design engineer and equipment supplier related to the purchase of sludge dehydrator for wastewater treatment plant. Matter was favorably resolved on eve of trial.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against architect client in $6.5 million complex construction defect case.
- Assisted in defense of professional design team on a matter involving reconstruction of $350 million federal highway bridge project due to encountering of ancient landslides. Design team obtained favorable decision from independent Dispute Review Board and matter was amicably resolved.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against engineering client in defense of professional negligence claims related to the design of a major roadway.
- Represented structural engineer in defense of professional negligence claims related to bowstring truss failures. Matter was amicably resolved prior to trial.
- Represented architect in prosecution of claims against contractor for invalid construction liens and construction defects related to construction of client’s personal residence.
- Represented numerous professional design clients in lien foreclosure action to recover unpaid fees.
- Contributing author, "Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio Q&A," Practical Law (Thompson Reuters), November 2017
- “Trending Exception to the Exclusion: Finding a Subcontractor’s Defect Isn’t ‘Your Work,’” Thompson Hine Construction Update, March 2017
- “Michigan Supreme Court Clarifies Penalties and Underscores Importance of Contractor Licensing,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, June 2016
- "Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio," Practical Law, February 2016
- “Contingent Payment Provisions and Forum Selection Clauses,” Thompson Hine Construction Industry Hot Topics Seminar, Cleveland, June 2015.
- “Risk Management,” AIA Portland FRED Business of Architecture Series, Portland, OR, October 2014.
- Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Lewis & Clark Law School Environmental Leadership Award
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar, Real Estate/Land Use, Environmental, and Construction Law Sections
- Washington State Bar, Construction, Environmental and Land Use Sections
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) – Member, Cleveland Chapter
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) – Member, Northeast Ohio Chapter
- American Society of Engineers (ASCE) – Former Chair, Oregon Professional Development
- Environmental Health Watch, Board Member
- Civic Leadership Institute Cleveland – Class of 2015
Construction Laws and Customs: OhioPractical Law
February 29, 2016