Keith P. Spiller
Keith is a member of Thompson Hine's Executive Committee and the former practice group leader of the firm's Labor & Employment practice group. He focuses his practice on the representation of employers in all areas of labor and employment law, including employment discrimination and wrongful discharge litigation; practicing before the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission and Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs; and handling arbitrations, contract administration and negotiations with labor unions.
- First-chair jury trial experience in various discrimination and wrongful discharge litigation in both federal and state courts.
- Substantial experience in counseling employers on defeating unionization attempts.
- Defending charges of discrimination filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and other state organizations such as the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
- Handling grievances and arbitrations for unionized employers, as well as the defense of unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Serving as management's chief spokesperson during union negotiations for initial and subsequent collective bargaining agreements.
- Designing and assisting in the implementation of various workplace policies, including drug and alcohol testing, medical exams, hiring protocol, severance and reduction-in-force plans.
- Advising employers on compliance with affirmative action obligations, including the design and drafting of affirmative action plans and the defense of OFCCP compliance and glass-ceiling audits.
- General counseling of human resource professionals concerning all aspects of employment, such as wage and hour compliance, trade secrets and competition, and disciplinary issues.
- Assisting employers in the development of workplace social media policies and advising on social media rules in hiring and termination.
- “#MeToo Movement Highlights Importance of Employer Response to Sexual Harassment,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, January 2018
- “Federal Judge Enjoins New FLSA Overtime Regulations.” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, November 2016
- “Federal Judge Enjoins DOL Persuader Regulations,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, June 2016
- “DOL Expands Employer Reporting of Union Persuader Agreements,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, March 2016
- "Legal Update for In-House Attorneys on ADA, FLSA and Social Media," August 2015
- "FMLA/ADA/Leave Training for HR/Benefit Group," August 2015
- "Respecting Your Co-Workers," June 2015
- "ADA/Leave Update for HR," May 2015
- "Transgender Issues in the Workplace," May 2015
- "Equal Employment Opportunity Training," May 2015
- "Avoiding Employment and Benefits Risks," April 2015
- "Union Avoidance Manager and Supervisor Training," March 2015
- "Code of Conduct, Harassment & Social Media Training," August 2014
- "Collective Bargaining Training for Supervisors," June 2014
- "Navigating the Intersection of Professional and Personal Life - DOMA, Marijuana and Social Media," May 2014
- "Social Media Employment Risks," April 2014
- "Supervisor Leave Training," March 2014
- "Social Media and the NLRA," March 2014
- “ADA – Interactive Process and Employee Leave Training,” January 2014
- “Sexual Harassment Training – Creating the Culture of Respect," November 2013
- “Manager Toolkit Update,” November 2013
- “Legal Training for Occupational Health Nurses and Athletic Trainers,” October 2013
- “Social Media Legal Risks,” October, 2013
- “Union Avoidance Supervisor Training,” October 2013
- “Investigating Employee Misconduct,” October 2013
- “Managing Your Employees’ Expectations: Effective Evaluation & Discipline Documentation,” September 2013
- “Equal Employment Opportunity Training for Employees,” August 2013
- “EEO Compliance Training for Managers and Supervisors,” August 2013
- “Hot Topics in HR,” June, 2013
- “The National Labor Relations Board: Recent Rulings and Activity,” June 2013
- “Sexual Harassment and Code of Conduct Hotline Training,” September 2012
- “Union Awareness Training,” September, 2012
- “Preventing and Addressing Harassment and Violence in the Workplace,” August 2012
- "Layoffs, Downsizing and Reductions in Force: A Checklist of Considerations," June 2012
- “Supervisor Training – ADA Compliance & the Interactive Process,” December 2011
- “Affirmative Action Plan Training,” December 2011
- “Workplace Violence,” February 2010
- “HR Forum: Legislative Update,” September 2009
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Labor and Employment Law, 2006 to 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine 2010 to 2016
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Employment: Mainly Defendant
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Cincinnati Museum Center, Board of Trustees
- United Way Volunteer Leadership Development Program
- International Wine Festival, Charity Auction Committee
December 06, 2017
December 09, 2015
June 24, 2015
March 13, 2014
March 11, 2014